Installing on Ubuntu 14.04 - Roots 7.0.2

Installing on Ubuntu 14.04 gets the following errors, after running npm install -

Running "jshint:all" (jshint) task
ERROR: Can't find config file: .jshintrc

Execution Time (2014-11-19 22:40:07 UTC)
loading tasks   4ms  ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ 29%
jshint:all     10ms  ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ 71%
Total 14ms

npm ERR! weird error 1
npm WARN This failure might be due to the use of legacy binary "node"
npm WARN For further explanations, please read
/usr/share/doc/nodejs/README.Debian

I’ve run

sudo apt-get install nodejs-legacy

Which returns that it is already latest version. Have also tried removing node_modules dir and running bower install.

Have had no problems installing with previous Roots versions…

==UPDATE==

I grabbed .jshintrc from Github as it was missing from the Zip I downloaded and now I get the following error (after npm install seems to work fine)

>> File "assets/less/_global.less" changed.
Running "less:dev" (less) task
>> FileError: '../vendor/bootstrap/less/variables.less' wasn't found in assets/less/_bootstrap.less on line 8, column 1:
>> 7 // Variables
>> 8 @import "../vendor/bootstrap/less/variables";
>> 9
Warning: Error compiling assets/less/main.less Use --force to continue.

Aborted due to warnings.

I’ve run bower install to no avail … obviously I need the Vendor dir … any ideas how to proceed?

== Update 2 ==

Reinstalled node and that seems fine, bower help works fine, bower install is a dead duck - does nothing no error or anything - and npm install fails on the bower install command in package.json, checked file perms, arggg. Should I buy a Mac?

Ok - this was all caused by a problem with the zip not having .bowerrc and .jshintrc - I imagine this might be something to do with Ubuntu’s method of unzipping? Problem solved.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you fixed it :thumbsup:

Yes you should probably buy a mac :wink:

Dude… Ubuntu is even closer to production environment, I think he’s better off :wink:

But srsly… I <3 linux… even on the desktop… that’s all…

Haha I was just messing with him, Apple fanboy shit on the brain. Really, if Ubuntu works for you, do it. It’s an outstanding OS and like @kalenjohnson said it’s much closer to your server environment.

/me is a Linux fanboy

1 Like