502 Bad Gateway, PHP won't start

I just updated ubuntu today. Is everyone else up to date or using an older version?

Probably an upstream issueā€¦ see https://github.com/oerdnj/deb.sury.org/issues/341

4 Likes

I let the App Store install an update of Command Line Tools for Xcode (OS X 10.11) during the weekendā€”could that matter?

He doesnā€™t seem to have a solution yet on this. I am checking the info that he recommends to check now.

After checking: I get the same result that he talks about.

As long as you open Xcode and accept the terms it usually doesnā€™t cause issues.

1 Like

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and say that Iā€™m experiencing the exact same issue. Is there a way to specify a version of PHP to use in order to avoid this kind of thing in the future?

I have tried everything that I can think of and still nothing will work for me. I just copied a trellis install that I know is working and when I re configure the files and run vagrant up again I get the same issue.

I tried setting up the basic example.com site. I did not change anything and ran vagrant up with the same result.

I just went through the same steps as you and can confirm that things are broken, beyond a doubt, right now. The only consolation I have is that itā€™s apparently not my own fault this time :grin:

1 Like

What version of ubuntu are you using

I grabbed the latest copy of Trellis and Bedrock, so Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

Iā€™m at a stand still right now. I have been trying to figure this out all day.

As I mentioned earlier, this is an upstream issue. This will not work at all until itā€™s resolved by the maintainers of the PHP PPA. At that point you will have to re-provision your server with the updated PPA when itā€™s fixed.

Similar scenario happened within the past month.

@ben already posted what the problem is: 502 Bad Gateway, PHP won't start

Iā€™m sorry but thereā€™s no real solution right now if you provisioned a server while this has been broken. Weā€™re mostly at the mercy of the PPA provider.

I know you donā€™t have a timeframe on this. But when this happened before how long did it take before it was fixed.

Getting the 502 Bad Gateway error on development on a fresh install.

The site I setup last week still works fine.

Not trying to imply that anyone on the Roots team is at fault! Apologies if thatā€™s how it came across. Just wanting to provide another data point so that others know they are not alone on this issue.

In a situation like this, what would be the steps in duplicating an existing local Trellis/Bedrock setup?

I have tried to use another Trellis/Bedrock install with no luck. The problem is when you provision the server, which if Iā€™m understanding this correctly is from a 3rd party. So until the PPA Provider fixes the issue you canā€™t provision the server to get it running. @swalkinshaw said above that unfortunately we are at the mercy of the PPA provider.

This appears to be fixed, but out of interest ā€¦

1. Is this bug preventable?
  2. Could this have affected a deployed site?
  3. I spent a long time trying to figure out a fix for this today only to find out it wasnā€™t solvable at my end. Is there some obvious error message that I missed that couldā€™ve told me that sooner?
2 Likes
  1. Maybe, but Iā€™m not sure what we can do yet
  2. I think if you re-provisioned a production server during this time it might have broke? Re-deploying wouldnā€™t break it.
  3. I donā€™t think so unfortunately. Nothing obvious at least.

Should be noted that if/when we switch to Ubuntu 16.04 this problem kind of goes away because it has PHP7 as the default version. We wouldnā€™t have to use a 3rd party PPA as far as I know.

2 Likes