Bedrock-Ansible - Error Provisioning

Pardon for the basic question but let me say that I have used Vagrant and Ansible quite a bit working with OpenEdX. The main difference is that OpenEdX does not use the Ansible provisioner with Vagrant but rather uses a Unix script to run the playbook directly on the VM.

So my setup is a MacBook Pro just upgraded to OSX Yosemite. I reinstalled/ updated Vagrant 1.6.5, Ansible to 1.7.2 and VirtualBox to 4.18. I wanted to start with the sample setup so I created a directory with both the bedrock-ansible and the bedrock renamed to example.dev. For good or bad, I just checked out the master branch rather than a release. When I try to run the provision (the basic VM build/ deploy works), I get the following error:

ERROR: file could not read: /Users/myuser/Documents/Work/Projects/ development/bedrock-ansible/’/Users/myuser/Documents/Work/Projects/development/bedrock-ansible/roles/common/tasks/main.yml’
Ansible failed to complete successfully. Any error output should be
visible above. Please fix these errors and try again.

It appears to be concatenating to the deployment directory path a quoted string with the fully qualified path to the common role’s main task. I tried adding setting ansible.verbose = ‘vvvv’ but it gave me little clue.

Any clues? Clearly something really basic.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Hooker

Any chance your new development directory has a space at the beginning of its name? Adding a space to the beginning of my corresponding directory (named roots instead of development) produced a similar error on ansible’s first task:

ERROR: file could not read: /Users/myuser/projects/ roots/bedrock-ansible/'/Users/myuser/projects/ roots/bedrock-ansible/roles/common/tasks/main.yml'
Ansible failed to complete successfully. Any error output should be
visible above. Please fix these errors and try again.

After removing the space in the directory name, everything was back to working normal. I tested using bedrock-ansible master branch as of today (dc46de9). I’m on OSX 10.9.5, Vagrant 1.6.5, Ansible 1.7.2, VB 4.3.16.

1 Like

Bingo. That was it!! I had removed part of the path just because I don’t like sharing local details. One of the parent directory names had a space in it. I removed it, and everything works. Thanks.

Ray

You’re welcome. Enjoy!

Fell into this hole aswell. Might be nice to put in the readme?