Best practice: adding Bourbon to Sage

@xav so sorry, I thought I’d replied to this. I don’t necessarily prefer Bourbon, in fact I’ve used Bootstrap for probably the last 3 projects I built. I really like both of them.

Which I choose really depends on what I have to build and how quickly I have to build it. I like Bourbon because it’s so light weight, but I can move much more quickly with Bootstrap due to all the cool stuff it comes with. That’s just me.

Sorry again for the late response, better late than never though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @smutek that’s great news! i’ve been using Bootstrap 3 a lot and Bootstrap 4 alpha looks great to, but like you told to @xav , Bourbon with neat and refills are really lightweight, i really see the difference when i run the Gulp build command :smirk: And when i need some extra components i often grab my inspiration and scripts ressources on the awesome Codyhouse bourbon Library !
I won’t forget to share the link of the wordpress bourbon sage 8 i’m actually working on when it’s on production :rocket: Do you know some other Bourbon refills extra components library?
Thanks again for your quick reply. Can’t wait to install the Bourbony sage 9 package!

3 Likes

Nice, I hadn’t heard of that, bookmarked, thanks!

Hi @smutek @ben
It would be great if you could add the following fork to your docs official list:

I’ve been using this fork for my last projects, and it is a great alternative to bootstrap !
Here is a “work in progress” beta version of my latest project built on top of the BourbonySage fork:
http://v2.laplateforme.net

I wish you an happy cody new year!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the shout out, I’m glad you’re still finding the fork helpful!

Hi all.

I am using Sage 9.0.0-beta.2. Just in case you want to try this puppy with Sage 9…

After fully installing the theme, I ran npm install bourbon-neat and was able to import the core styles into my main.scss file using @import "~bourbon-neat/core/neat"

I’ve been using Bootstrap v4 but find that even after I customise the build, the CSS just gets a bit out of hand in terms of file size, especially after the webpack autoprefixer kicks in, so the lightweight nature of Neat is quite appealing. We’ll see :slight_smile:

I’ll definitely check out your fork, @smutek - sounds good, although I’m now fully committed to the Sage 9 branch - loving the Laravel Blade templates and fast builds.

4 Likes