Changing front page to latest post and help with an Archives page

I’ve been searching around these forums and Google for a while but I’ve hit a roadblock. I have a static homepage that I’m trying to change to a latest posts view, but with only one post visible.

So I want my newest post to be featured underneath the header as the first thing people see when they visit the site, but I don’t want it to be a feed. The website I’m using as a model is http://zenhabits.net/ . So when you go to my site, you see the new post’s title and the content underneath.

Ideally, I’d like to put in the code that would allow me to create a new post and categorize it as “Home” to have it appear there. Then I would uncheck the category box before creating the new post to go up.

I have a front-page.php and a base-front-page.php but only the static page is still showing. (I’m guessing there would be a value I could change to have only 1 post displayed, but I’m currently stuck on not knowing how)

Additionally, I’m trying to figure out how to set up an Archives page where I can categorize my posts as “Poem” or “Short Story” and have a permalink automatically generated in a list-format on a page I have titled “Archives.”

Any help is much appreciated, sorry for the wall of text.

Go into your Reading settings in the WP admin and tell WP to show the latest posts for the home page. You can then copy index.php to home.php and modify it to your needs.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Quick question, for the “For each article in a feed, show” I have Full Text selected, but it only shows an excerpt of the post. Where do I go to edit this?

In templates/content.php change the_excerpt() to the_content().

1 Like