Child Theme Stylesheets

I know Roots is initially intended to be used as a starter theme and not a parent, but I’ve reached the point with my theme based off or Roots that I would like to create a child theme.

I’ve created the standard child theme folder and included style.css with the necessary info, and I have no problems loading template files from the child theme’s directory. However, I cannot get stylesheets to load and I can’t figure out why.

I should probably mention that I’ve removed LESS, and I’m only loading a stripped down bootstrap.css and app.css as my stylesheets in the parent, using the following function in scripts.php:

function custom_stylesheets() {
  wp_enqueue_style('bootstrap', get_template_directory_uri() . '/assets/css/bootstrap.css');
  wp_enqueue_style('app', get_template_directory_uri() . '/assets/css/app.css');
}
add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'custom_stylesheets');

I can’t get app.css to load by duplicating it in the child, and even if I enqueue style.css in the function above and add my changes to the child’s style.css, only the parent’s stylesheets are loaded.

I am just missing something obvious here?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_stylesheet_directory_uri

Ahh thanks, I missed that one

How is using Roots as a parent/child theme working for you?

I really want to but want to make sure I’m not going to run into trouble down the road. From what I can see the only thing I need to look at is where the css is being loaded in the scripts.php to make sure its loading the child css. I assume thats what get_stylesheet_directory_uri is for?

roots-as-parent-on-multisite/1056