Consider waiting to upgrade to Mac OS Monterey

After upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey, Trellis is broken for me and many others (github issue).

Some people have had success downgrading VirtualBox, but I’m not yet one of them- still tinkering.

Wishing I’d followed my own advise and researched issues before upgrading MacOS.

The 6.1.30 update to Virtualbox resolved the issue.

I am having issues running vagrant up after upgrading to Monterey. The only reason I decided to upgrade was because I was having issues with macOS and Python and provisioning servers.

I’ve completely wiped my imac and installed Monterey.

So far I’ve installed VirtualBox 6.1.26, since some information I found suggested using that version with Monterey. I’ve also installed Vagrant and Trellis-CLI.

From my project directory I’ve run trellis up and here is the output:

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant

for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...

Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE

VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter

VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory

VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface

VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 95 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

exit status 1

I’ve tried this workaround here with no success:

Also, I’ve performed what had worked for me in the past:
https://discourse.roots.io/t/virtualbox-fails-on-macos-monterey-beta/21160

Running:
vboxmanage --version
returns:
6.1.26r145957

vbox 6.1.30 is out, and that resolved the breaking issues for me.

For some reason though, my vagrant machines are incredibly slow though since Monterey.

Strange.
I installed that version and it produced the same errors.
I installed it after completely formatting and reinstalling Monterey as well.

I went back to using Big Sur and am getting my projects set up fine with that.

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.