Deploy : Fail if repo_subtree_path is set incorrectly

When I deploy, I get:

TASK [deploy : Fail if repo_subtree_path is set incorrectly] *******************
System info:
  Ansible 2.2.2.0; Linux
  Trellis at "Allow for per-project packagist.com authentication"
---------------------------------------------------
The conditional check 'project_subtree_full_path is defined and not
project_subtree_full_path.stat.exists' failed. The error was: error while
evaluating conditional (project_subtree_full_path is defined and not
project_subtree_full_path.stat.exists): 'dict object' has no attribute 'stat'

The error appears to have been in
'/home/my/path/to/trellis/roles/deploy/tasks/prepare.yml': line 16,
column 3, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

- name: Fail if repo_subtree_path is set incorrectly
  ^ here

Nothing has changed in my wordpress_sites.yml, since previous succesfull deploys. The repo_subtree_path line is still commented out as always. Only thing I can think of that has changed recently is an update of Ansible on my local machine, from 2.2.1.0 to 2.2.2.0.

I’m using Trellis Head at #762

1 Like

Updated to the latest Trellis Head and it fails with the same error.
Installing the previous Ansible 2.2.1.0 and it deploys fine, so I guess it’s related to the latest Ansible version.

Thanks for this. We’ll try and confirm or not.

@richardwilis Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce on 2.2.2.0. For now, using 2.2.1.0 is a good workaround till we get a fix pushed to Trellis.

I didn’t notice this issue you posted here because so far I had only tested 2.2.2.0 with Trellis defaults, whereas you have a non-default config (repo_subtree_path commented out, which is perfectly acceptable). I want search the codebase for other potential instances of this new issue that could occur with other non-default configs (e.g., running different sets of tasks, etc.)

Whereas 2.2.1.0 left the project_subtree_full_path registered var undefined when its task skipped, 2.2.2.0 now defines the var. Whereas the when: project_subtree_full_path is defined and ... condition made the “Fail if repo_subtree_path is set incorrectly” task skip back on 2.2.1.0,
the condition now evaluates true and lets the task run, leading to the failure. A likely fix for this task is to borrow the parallel condition from the prior task.

-   when: project_subtree_full_path is defined and not project_subtree_full_path.stat.exists
+   when: project.repo_subtree_path is defined and not project_subtree_full_path.stat.exists

I’ll check for other similar problems and push 2.2.2.0 compatibility fixes soon.

2 Likes

Fixed in roots/trellis#810

Thanks, that fixed it.

i downgraded from Ansible 2.2.2.0 to 2.2.1.0 and tried this fix but the next Error appears.
Maybe my trellis is to old. With Ansible 2.0.2.0 it works.

< TASK [deploy : Copy project templates] >

fatal: [46.101.187.105]: FAILED! => {"failed": true, "msg": "the field 'args' has an invalid value, which appears to include a variable that is undefined. The error was: 'ansible.vars.unsafe_proxy.AnsibleUnsafeText object' has no attribute 'dest'\n\nThe error appears to have been in 'projectpath/trellis/roles/deploy/tasks/build.yml': line 5, column 3, but may\nbe elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.\n\nThe offending line appears to be:\n\n\n- name: Copy project templates\n  ^ here\n"}

@fabian I’d recommend getting your Trellis all up-to-date with the latest, benefitting from all the little fixes for different Ansible releases.

However, for the has no attribute 'dest' portion of the error you posted re: 2.2.1.0, I believe you could resolve that with the updates from a year ago in https://github.com/roots/trellis/pull/523/files

Same error on ansible 2.3 on Ubuntu 16.04, installed ansible 2.1 (couldn’t find 2.2 via apt-get), solved the problem. Hope to not get locked forever with 2.1