Deploying Remote Server Fails with 'repo_subtree_path' error

Apologies, as I’m a little new at this. I’ve been able to set up local development sites with no problem and I’m able to get to a properly provisioned server at DigitalOcean, following the Trellis docs.

I keep failing at this point and searching both this site and a broader Google search has turned up nothing.

Command I’m running (from trellis directory) is:

./deploy.sh staging example.org

TASK [deploy : Fail if repo_subtree_path is set incorrectly] *******************
System info:
Ansible 2.0.2.0; Darwin
Trellis at “Fix #468 - Use curl to install wp-cli tab completions”

repo subtree is set to ‘site’ but that path does not exist in the repo. Edit
repo_subtree_path for ‘example.org’ in wordpress_sites.yml.
fatal: [xx.xx.xx.xx]: FAILED! => {“changed”: false, “failed”: true}
to retry, use: --limit @deploy.retry

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
xx.xx.xx.xx : ok=11 changed=3 unreachable=0 failed=1
localhost : ok=0 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0

Is anyone familiar with this error or have any idea what I’m doing wrong? As best I can tell, repo_subtree_path is supposed to be set to “site”.

Do you have your repo uploaded to a git server? Make sure the repo_subtree_path matches the path from your repo to your Bedrock folder. If you haven’t changed the folder structure, it should be site.

Thanks for the response, runofthemill.

Deleting the line:

repo_subtree_path: site # relative path to your Bedrock/WP directory in your repo

from

trellis/group_vars/staging/wordpress_sites.yml

solved the issue. I thought I was supposed to define the path, but now see that it’s optional, only to be used if it’s not in the standard location.

3 Likes