Roots Discourse

Deployment fails due to failed connection to Git repo

Hello,

I have been scouring the web for all kinds of information and solutions, that I could find about this issue.

I haven’t been able to find any working solutions, and have tried all questionable things that has been suggested across threads and blog posts.

Here’s a checklist of all things that I have tried and how my setup is:

  • Can run provisions without problems, no warnings no errors.
  • Deployment fine works for staging but fails on production.
  • SSH Forwarding is enabled on both the box (AllowAgentForwarding yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config) and the local machine (ForwardAgent yes in ~/.ssh/config)
  • SSH Agent (and forwarding) is working and running. Can successfully confirm all GitHub’s guides with regards to this.
  • Keys are added to the SSH Agent (ssh-add -K) list shows they are in the agent.
  • Keys are added to box’ ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and restarted.
  • I can SSH into the box as both root and www-data (web user) with no problem.
  • Keys added to GitHub (my own account), and visible from the .keys endpoint.
  • I have full access to the organization and the private repo in GitHub.
  • I don’t have any problems pushing, pulling or cloning from/to the private remote GitHub repo, using SSH.
  • Deployment has worked before and haven’t changed anything since last deploy,

My SSH config for the problematic host:

Host some.domain
HostName xxx.xx.xxx.xx
User someuser
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/my_key
AddKeysToAgent yes
UseKeychain yes
IdentitiesOnly yes
ForwardAgent yes

Extra debug info (-vvvv) doesn’t show any more information regarding this error, than already shown without verbose logging.

A log can be seen in this gist

Versions

  • Ansible 2.4.3.0
  • Trellis 1.0.2

Have you tried Can deploy to production, but not staging ?

Went through the thread and none of the proposed solutions have worked for us.

So I seem to have found the reason for why this failed.

After changing the no_log configuration in roles/deploy/tasks/update.yml to true, I discovered that the problem happened when it tried to fetch the latest changes from the remote git repository. The error was

remote: error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database ./objects
remote: fatal: failed to write object
error: unpack failed: unpack-objects abnormal exit

After digging into what could cause this, it seems like some how the user didn’t have permissions to write to .git from /srv/www/<site>/shared/source on the remote server.

After going into the source directory and manually running git fetch --tags origin and deploying, everything seemed to work.

But that still begs the question how this could have happened in the first place.

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.