Developing with Bedrock

So I just set up Bedrock for the first time to develop a Wordpress site and I can’t seem to figure out its use as a development environment. If I’m supposed to load custom functionality via composer, how exactly am I supposed to be developing that functionality in the first place. Obviously I know it’s still possible to create a plugin/mu-plugin the same as I normally would, but it seems like it defeats the purpose. What exactly is the philosophy or rationale of developing inside of Bedrock rather than simply using it as a production environment

I can’t seem to figure out its use as a development environment

Bedrock isn’t an environment so much as a file structure and environment configurator. You can serve your Bedrock site in any local environment such as Vagrant (via Trellis would be a great option), Valet, MAMP, WAMP, Local By Flywheel, etc.

how exactly am I supposed to be developing that functionality in the first place

You could create custom mu-plugins in a separate repo and use composer to pull them in (imagine you make lots of sites and make the same modifications to all the wp-admin footer credits). Or equally valid is to make your mu-plugin inside the Bedrock repo and then !ignore it in your .gitignore file so that it gets committed to the repo for this site. Make sense?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.