[Errno 13] Permission denied while deploying to DO droplet

Hi, I was getting this weird error over and over again since last night while deploying a Trellis site to a Digital Ocean droplet. As I’m still new to this stack I really don’t know how did I get this error because past deploys were fine. So this is the error from the log:

rmtree failed: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/www/igsdemo.ml/releases/20 170106103451/web/app/themes/igs/bower_components/modaal/index.html' fatal: [188.166.211.104]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "failed": true} to retry, use: --limit @/Users/Fat_G/workspace/igs-hcmc.de/trellis/deploy.retry

Please elaborate what’s going on here and how do I continue to debug this. Thanks.

Other threads about rmtree failed may help. It seems that permissions issues like this often stem from users’ manual permissions changes to /srv/www/igsdemo.ml.

1 Like

yeah I still don’t know why It doesn’t has the correct permission but I fixed it by chmod 777

Chmod-ing 777 is never a good idea, it sounds like the user isn’t in the right group on your server.