Error on deploy, permissions problem?

Hello, I am trying to deploy trellis+bedrock on my server (development server works) but on this command ansible-playbook deploy.yml -e "site=mysite.com env=production" -vvvv it get stuck with the following output in red:

fatal: [96.127.142.183]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "failed": true, "invocation": {"module_name": "deploy_helper"}, "module_stderr": "OpenSSH_6.6.1, OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014\r\ndebug1: Reading configuration data /home/myuser/.ssh/config\r\ndebug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config\r\ndebug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *\r\ndebug1: auto-mux: Trying existing master\r\ndebug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK\r\ndebug2: mux_client_hello_exchange: master version 4\r\ndebug3: mux_client_forwards: request forwardings: 0 local, 0 remote\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_session: entering\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_alive: entering\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_alive: done pid = 23130\r\ndebug3: mux_client_request_session: session request sent\r\ndebug1: mux_client_request_session: master session id: 2\r\ndebug3: mux_client_read_packet: read header failed: Broken pipe\r\ndebug2: Received exit status from master 0\r\nShared connection to 96.127.142.183 closed.\r\n", "module_stdout": "Traceback (most recent call last):\r\n  File \"/home/myuser/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-1455537454.05-53312932440404/deploy_helper\", line 2409, in <module>\r\n    main()\r\n  File \"/home/kunderik/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-1455537454.05-53312932440404/deploy_helper\", line 434, in main\r\n    changes += deploy_helper.create_path(facts['project_path'])\r\n  File \"/home/myuser/.ansible/tmp/ansible-tmp-1455537454.05-53312932440404/deploy_helper\", line 297, in create_path\r\n    os.makedirs(path)\r\n  File \"/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py\", line 150, in makedirs\r\n    makedirs(head, mode)\r\n  File \"/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py\", line 150, in makedirs\r\n    makedirs(head, mode)\r\n  File \"/usr/lib64/python2.6/os.py\", line 157, in makedirs\r\n    mkdir(name, mode)\r\nOSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv'\r\n", "msg": "MODULE FAILURE", "parsed": false}

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
96.127.142.183             : ok=2    changed=0    unreachable=0    failed=1   
localhost                  : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=0    failed=0

I don’t understand what is the problem, or, if perhaps related to permissions, how to solve it,
any help is appreciated, thanks

1 Like

What did you do previous to the deploy?

Did you provision a bare Ubuntu server with server.yml? This is basically failing right away which I’ve never seen happen if the server was properly provisioned.

no I haven’t done anything on the server before to try to deploy, I was just following the trellis guide here. I am using a shared hosting (greengeeks).
I am looking now at this thread and it seems to address some of my problems

1 Like

Seen this a few times “provision a bare Ubuntu server with server.yml” and nobody seems to point out that nowhere do the instructions say to do this. Not that I’ve seen anyway. Smh.

I’m afraid that I see nothing in that thread you pointed to which addresses this problem. What am I missing? How do I use the server.yml playbook?

Where do I find something about the server.yml playbook at in the docs? I’m not finding that anywhere really.

It’s the last step in the instructions for remote server setup.

1 Like

It’s step 5 here: https://roots.io/trellis/docs/remote-server-setup/
Step 4 here: https://github.com/roots/trellis#remote-server-setup-stagingproduction

ah! well, the thing is, i’m working through an issue about my development setup, the VM. would this still apply? will read now. thank you!

No, it’s for remote servers only. Also I just noticed you said you’re using shared hosting. You’ll see some more information on that docs page now, but Trellis likely doesn’t work on shared hosts.

1 Like

Different guy using shared hosting. I’m on the Vagrant machine, deploy is unable to access the /srv folder apparently to deploy locally.

Oops, didn’t notice. Deploys are for remote servers only.

On Vagrant it has a synced folder to your local machine so there’s no need to deploy.

Ok that might help me understand. Thank you sir!