Error with geerlingguy.daemonize on Provision

I’m getting an error on vagrant up --provision with a project I recently upgraded to Trellis 1.8.0:

ASK [geerlingguy.daemonize : Build daemonize.] ********************************
System info:
  Ansible 2.9.10; Vagrant 2.2.14; Darwin
  Trellis 1.8.0: February 12th, 2021
---------------------------------------------------
The conditional check 'daemonize_installed | failed' failed. The error was:
template error while templating string: no filter named 'failed'. String: {%
if daemonize_installed | failed %} True {% else %} False {% endif %}

The error appears to be in '/Users/nkeenan/Sites/archetype-
pac/trellis/vendor/roles/geerlingguy.daemonize/tasks/main.yml': line 20,
column 3, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

- name: Build daemonize.
  ^ here
fatal: [default]: FAILED! => {}

I’ve tried merging a few recent versions of Trellis to see if it’s a regression issue, but this has no effect on the error, including Trellis 1.7.1 and 1.7.0. I have another project that has successfully upgraded to 1.7.0 which didn’t have this issue at the time.

Per the advice in this thread:

I attempted this with Ansible 2.8.15, 2.9.10 and 2.9.15 - this last attempt with 2.9.10 - and there’s no change to the error with each of those conditions.

A recent commit to daemonize includes the removal of ansible-lint - geerlingguy has been working on adjusting ansible-lint but there’s no new release yet. Could that be related?

https://github.com/geerlingguy/ansible-role-daemonize/commit/9c7e98c65c58d3e4e55ebc0df8d79121ac002fae

I’m kind of at a loss with what to troubleshoot next, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In case it’s relevant, this is a Sage 8 project that was previously on Trellis 1.3.0. It’s a long time listener, first-time-caller project.

I actually fixed this a few years back in that role https://github.com/geerlingguy/ansible-role-daemonize/commit/fa3d4583ad5c083ee2429c43c083be390cec2e62#diff-3d0ff1709ca48add100327bb2a468e6c508fb92a159c64c4f99ad1df89d9bdde. Seems the role isn’t updated in your trellis

1 Like

Thanks, @oxyc !

This was super helpful, thank you. My issue was that I was merging trellis rather than doing a complete replacement - and I didn’t delete the vendor directory before merge, so ansible-galaxy was skipping the update of those role dependencies.

In experiencing this issue I’m seeing a lot of other threads with the warning about daemonize being out of date in unrelated issues - would it make sense to add “deleting the /trellis/vendor directory and re-provisioning after upgrading Trellis” to the Trellis troubleshooting docs, or is this just me?

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.