Explain remote server setup step to me please

guide:

hi, I don’t understand this step:

Now that you have a working Ubuntu 18.04 server that you can easily SSH into, you need to configure a few things:

1. Copy your wordpress_sites from your working development site in group_vars/development/wordpress_sites.yml to the remote environment you want ( staging or production ) in group_vars/production/wordpress_sites.yml .

yes, I can SSH to my Ubuntu 18.04 droplet. Do I need to copy something from my local Trellis to my Droplet over SSH?

No, you don’t need to manually upload any single file to the droplet, it’s simply saying “Ok great, you’ve done everything to the point where you have a server set up. Moving on, lets do the next step.”

This next step will make changes to your remote server, this is why you needed to get the server set up so Trellis can SSH in to it for you and make the changes automatically.

Copy the wordpress_sites.yml file from trellis/group_vars/development/wordpress_sites.yml on your local machine to trellis/group_vars/production/ then modify the file so it has all the digital ocean settings, including the live domain you will be using.

2 Likes

I just updated that wording a bit. Hopefully it’s clearer now since I could see how “remote” makes it slightly confusing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.