Getting Trellis to take config changes into account

Every time I want to change something with my configuration (such as the php_error_reporting level for example), I have to vagrant destroy and then vagrant up before the change is taken into account.

This takes quite a while, so I’m wondering if there’s any better way? Or is this a necessary hassle?

vagrant provision
or
vagrant up --provision

I tried that, but it doesn’t seem to change anything.

Also I don’t know if it’s related, but i get msg: unable to connect to database, check login_user and login_password are correct or ~/.my.cnf has the credentials errors when I run vagrant up --provision, even though the site seems to work fine.

Hey @SachaG, pretty stoked that you’re trying out Trellis!

Running a vagrant provision again should work.

Do you know what version of Trellis you’re on? Are you using HHVM? I think that the database error you are seeing should have been fixed a while ago.

I’ve been looking for something like Trellis for a long time, hoping it can put an end to me switching WordPress hosts every 6 months!

I’m on version 0.9.3 and I’m not using HHVM as far as I know.

Can you let us know what configuration changes you made? Or ideally post your config(s) so we can try and identify the problem or reproduce it?

Couple thoughts overall though:

1. The above replies are correct that any config changes you make need to be re-applied with vagrant provision which will run the Ansible provisioner.
  2. Are any other settings not working/changing? I know you mentioned php_error_reporting but that setting in particular might depend on a few changes in your WP config as well.