Grunt: install problems and confusion

Purchased and walked through the screencast today. Although much of it was over my head I was able to get a local development environment setup using MAMP. I have nodejs, grunt and live LiveReload running. It is great so far. I walked through a bit of a tutorial on git and starting reading up on how to set up git with Wordpress safely, etc. Still not close on the last part but I can start developing locally and connect with some guys a lot smarter than me to help me walk through using git. I love the idea of version control. I love the idea of local development. LiveReload is the business.

The only parts that I was semi lost in the screencast were…

• I did not realize that I should have roots ready and installed before doing some of the commands in the terminal. One of the things that I had to do before LiveReload would work is control ‘C’ out of the grunt watch and install the plugin and then watch again. That is when it started working for me there.

Anyway, wanted to say thank you and am looking forward to continuing my personal learning and getting a grasp on a lot of what I feel so behind on. I have great support within my company and usually don’t have to spend time on this stuff but teaching a man, in this case myself, to fish is a great thing.

Good work. Looking forward to learning LESS and checking out the what’s new in Roots!

MAMP on Mac, XAMPP/WAMP on Windows.

But… I’ve found (after a lot of work) that when Ben says “Rewrites aren’t supported for multisite installations or if a child theme is activated.” in Roots 101 what he means is, “Rewrites don’t work if your WordPress install is in a folder beneath the server’s document root.”

That conclusion is based on a couple of days of testing and pulled hair with XAMPP on Windows and Apache on Ubuntu (duplicated same behavior both places with vanilla WP3.6 installs and copies of Roots master branch).

Yeah - I don’t do a lot of multi-site development, usually one offs. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, changing the root directory was what I needed to do. Thanks!

Just wanted to say that I finally got around to watching the grunt screencast and it was so incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting it together, Ben. Great work!

Hi imaginethepoet,
I think I have the same problem can you please guide me with more details.
I really appreciate it.