Guidance for transitioning to Trellis

I found Trellis while researching options for consolidating hosting of a number of aged WordPress sites to a single VPS. I have prior experience with Ansible, but I stopped working full-time on WordPress themes and customizations around 2009.

What I want is a stable setup that I can move these sites to, and then ensure that my WordPress host is secured and everything is easily updated. I’ve looked at simpler playbooks and roles for WordPress, but many seem to focus on the initial deployment with less consideration for handling updates and the full lifecycle.

Questions:

1. Do I have to buy into Bedrock and update my existing sites to fit within that framework?
  2. Can Trellis be my one stop shop for handling all deployments and updates for WP and plugins? Or, are there lighter alternatives that would be recommended?
  3. How difficult has it been moving to new Trellis versions?

TIA.

1. Do I have to buy into Bedrock and update my existing sites to fit within that framework?

It does, but moving to Bedrock can be pretty simple depending on what you want. Off the top of my head, Trellis assumes you have Bedrock’s web/ folder and you’re managing WP with Composer.

1. Can Trellis be my one stop shop for handling all deployments and updates for WP and plugins? Or, are there lighter alternatives that would be recommended?

Yes, but only if you use Composer to manage WP and plugins. Otherwise you could use Trellis to simply issues WP-CLI commands to servers I guess to update things programmatically.

1. How difficult has it been moving to new Trellis versions?

Some versions were probably difficult. It’s been way better lately with customizations limited to only a few files if you do things properly. There also hasn’t been breaking changes lately and once 1.0 is officially released, we’ll be going by semantic versioning.

3 Likes