How to restore the Bootstrap nav [walkthrough]

Glad you’ve found it helpful! I’ve been meaning to update that video. Here’s another approach that’s even easier -

Install and activate the Sagextras plugin by Michael Romero - https://github.com/storm2k/sagextras

Add add_theme_support('se-nav-walker'); to your functions, I usually drop this in the top of lib/setup.php, right below the Soil stuff.

Replace the contents of header.php with the contents of this gist - https://gist.github.com/johnny-bit/cc8840f148da01c2af52

That’s it!

3 Likes

Thank you for showing alternative approach it may help even more users!

By the way I find non-plugin solution better so I can easily package the theme and deliver to client with no extra plugin dependencies.

Loving the awesome work which has been done in this project! Thanks to all contributing developers!

1 Like

Not sure if this has been covered, but since Bootstrap 4 has been included in Sage by default, there is a new wp_bootstrap_navwalker.php file that can be used:

Took me a while to find it, as the original file still appears to only support up to Bootstrap 3.

11 Likes

And this would be a potential new markup for Bootstrap 4 Navbar:

<nav class="navbar navbar-light bg-faded">
  <a class="navbar-brand" href="<?= esc_url(home_url('/')); ?>"><?php bloginfo('name'); ?></a>
  <button class="navbar-toggler hidden-md-up" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#navbarCollapse" aria-controls="navbarCollapse" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
    &#9776;
  </button>
  <div class="collapse navbar-toggleable-sm" id="navbarCollapse">
      <?php
      if (has_nav_menu('primary_navigation')) :
        wp_nav_menu(['theme_location' => 'primary_navigation', 'walker' => new wp_bootstrap_navwalker(), 'menu_class' => 'pull-md-right nav navbar-nav']);
      endif;
      ?>
  </div>
</nav>
11 Likes

@jakus, thanks so much for those last two posts. Combined with @mohsinr’s instructions above, those saved the day for me. Worked like a charm.

2 Likes

No worries Paul! Glad I could be of assistance. :slight_smile:

@jakus this markup works great.

1 Like

Here’s an updated version accounting for Blade in Sage 9 -

<nav class="navbar navbar-toggleable-md navbar-light bg-faded">

<button class="navbar-toggler navbar-toggler-right" type="button" data-toggle="collapse"
          data-target="#navbarSupportedContent" aria-controls="navbarSupportedContent" aria-expanded="false"
          aria-label="Toggle navigation">
    <span class="navbar-toggler-icon"></span>
  </button>

<a class="navbar-brand" href="{{ home_url('/') }}">{{ get_bloginfo('name', 'display') }}</a>

<div class="collapse navbar-collapse" id="navbarSupportedContent">
    @if (has_nav_menu('primary_navigation'))
      {!! wp_nav_menu(['theme_location' => 'primary_navigation', 'walker' => new wp_bootstrap_navwalker(), 'menu_class' => 'navbar-nav mr-auto']) !!}
    @endif
  </div>
</nav>

12 Likes

Might also be worth noting that in Sage 9, the wp_bootstrap_navwalker.php goes in sage/src/ (as opposed to lib).

And including it to your functions.php looks a little different now:

array_map(function ($file) use ($sage_error) { $file = "src/{$file}.php"; if (!locate_template($file, true, true)) { $sage_error(sprintf(__('Error locating <code>%s</code> for inclusion.', 'sage'), $file), 'File not found'); } }, ['helpers', 'setup', 'filters', 'admin', 'wp_bootstrap_navwalker']);

At least that’s how I got it all working.

4 Likes

Has anyone been able get bootstrap 4 nav-walker to work with soils-clean-nav?

2 Likes

I recently put this together and have been meaning to share it here. It’s based on Soils clean nav and Michael Romero’s Sageextras plugin.

Basic output looks like:

- ul id="menu-main" class="navbar-nav mr-auto"
  -  li class="nav-item menu-item menu-page-1"
    - a class="nav-link" 

It also supports drop downs.

Setup should be pretty self explanatory, but I’m going to update my original post, or make a new one, this weekend. In the mean-time, header markup and instructions are in the full gist. Hope this is helpful.

7 Likes

Had to perform one minor correction on your code (might be due to recent changes in Bootstrap), the navbar-toggleable-sm-class needs to sit on nav instead of the nested #navbarCollapse to trigger correctly:

<nav class="navbar navbar-toggleable-sm navbar-light bg-faded">
  <a class="navbar-brand" href="<?= esc_url(home_url('/')); ?>"><?php bloginfo('name'); ?></a>
  <button class="navbar-toggler hidden-md-up" type="button" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#navbarCollapse" aria-controls="navbarCollapse" aria-expanded="false" aria-label="Toggle navigation">
    &#9776;
  </button>
  <div class="collapse navbar-collapse" id="navbarCollapse">
      <?php
        wp_nav_menu(['theme_location' => 'primary_navigation', 'walker' => new wp_bootstrap_navwalker(), 'menu_class' => 'pull-md-right nav navbar-nav']);
      endif;
      ?>
  </div>
</nav>
3 Likes

Not sure if this is a one-off issue, but I just updated a theme mid-development to Boostrap 4 Beta (from alpha 6), and my navbar was always collapsed. Even on XL screens.

I skimmed over a similar issue on a Bootstrap Ruby issue, and found a quick fix. In my case, switching navbar-toggleable-md to navbar-expand-lg.

It’s working for now.

4 Likes

Here’s the Docs for Bootstrap 4 Beta nav.

It’ll be something along the lines of

<nav class="navbar navbar-expand-lg navbar-light bg-light">
        &#9776;
      </button>
      <div class="collapse navbar-collapse" id="navbarCollapse">
          <?php
          endif;
          ?>
      </div>
    </nav>

Note: only first line is different from above markup examples.

1 Like

can anyone provide a step by step process to getting this working with the latest version of sage? seems like most of the references are out of date and dont apply to the latest version of sage :frowning:

Thanks @jasonbaciulis already on that page…

does anybody know how i can change the <ul>class to navbar-nav? currently the menu is being displayed stacked

This is not a Roots-related question and falls more into general WordPress support. What you’re looking for can be accomplished either with Sass or with the correct arguments in your wp_nav_menu() call.

https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_nav_menu/