I’ve downloaded the original language .mo and .po files translations (it_IT) from the official repository https://github.com/roots/sage-translations.
I put them in the theme-folder/lang/, and added
load_theme_textdomain( 'sage', get_template_directory() . '/lang' ); inside the after_setup_theme function in setup.php.
But the translations are not loaded (for example when going to the 404 page), I still see the english strings.
I tried to disable the Polylang plugin, but the issue remains. I didn’t change the text_domain from ‘sage’.
I tried to put the language files inside web/app/languages/themes, prepending the theme name, and it works. Why is that the case?
https://github.com/roots/sage-translations is for Sage 8, sorry for the confusion
See https://github.com/roots/docs/issues/96 for links to Sage 9 related translation info (I’ll be adding this to official docs shortly!)
My problem seems different, or it’s my fault and I didn’t get how to solve it.
Wordpress seems to totally ignore the lang folder inside the theme one (even if I define it in setup.php as stated above), but it loads the web/app/languages/themes/themename-IT_it.mo.
Already done, it doesn’t work.
You would need to put the files into
theme-name/resources/lang rather than
Ok, my bad to put the files in the wrong folder. Thanks for your support!
No problem, sorry this wasn’t already documented more clearly! Adding it to the docs right now