No data received when trying to load site after ansible playbook command

Hello Trellis Community,

I am somewhat new to Front-end and WordPress Dev. I was able to get a local dev environment set up with trellis and now im trying to run the ansible staging command to a remote digital ocean droplet.

I’m installing on just an Ubuntu $5 dollar droplet and I get this final play recap.

When I go to enter the IP address to see if wordpress is there I get a blank screen that says, “no data received.”

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Do I have the “shoe on the wrong foot?”

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Jonathan Root

To access the server over the IP instead of the domain, you will need to add the server IP to the site_hosts config for whatever environment you want that access on (in your case, staging).

You can set multiple so having a staging subdomain in addition to the IP is fine.

Re-provision the server afterwards and you should be fine.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

Just to confirm, I have under trellis/hosts/staging the IP listed as 45.55.44.40. Was that what you are referring to?

This is what I have in the group_vars staging wordpress_sites file

when I enter the staging.hthroots.com domain it doesn’t bring up the site either.

Best,

Jonathan

Because you haven’t setup DNS to point that host to your server. That doesn’t happen automatically when you provision a remote server, you need to go and do that yourself.

cannot resolve staging.hthroots.com: Unknown host

I edited my hosts file so that I could try and hit your site which is returning a 404. Looks like you still need to deploy to the remote server.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Thanks a lot. I added staging.hthroots.com as a domain and not sure if I have to add the name servers to my config file.

When I deploy I get this error now.

Thanks for holding my hand through this. I like working with sage and appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this.

Best,

Jonathan

@Jonathan I’m guessing you issued the command:

./deploy.sh staging staging.hthroots.com

Given your site name hthroots.com, try this command instead:

./deploy.sh staging hthroots.com

The dict object (“dictionary”) in the error message is wordpress_sites. In your case, one item in that list of wordpress_sites falls under the header (“attribute”) hthroots.com, but none falls under the header staging.hthroots.com.

I realize it could be confusing. Although the README says that this command parameter is <site_name>, the docs currently say <domain>. This latter might make you think to add the staging part of the domain name. The idea, however, is that domain refers to the domain of the overall project (hthroots.com), for which there are multiple environments (development, staging, production).

Ok thanks! Should I add hthroots.com as my dns?

I ran [quote=“fullyint, post:8, topic:5580”]
./deploy.sh staging hthroots.com
[/quote]

But was returned this error

Hi,

Just a quick follow up. I provisioned the server for hthroots.com and added that domain to DO. I still get an error that it could not read from the remote repository. I have my repository set as private. Could that be blocking the deploy command?

Best,

Jonathan Root

The ERROR: Repository not found seems important. Have you misspelled your username in specifying your repo? Should it be jaroot32 instead of jroot32?

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, if you really have a repository at jroot32/hthrootsexample.git, you may be experiencing an issue authenticating to your private github account. You could search Roots discourse for things like “ssh forwarding” and “ssh agent” and “clone repo”.

1 Like

Thanks! I did leave out my middle initial lol. I’m going to work on this a little bit as a few more errors popped up about not having a composer file committed to the repository…If I’m using this deploy method then I don’t have to bother with capistrano, correct?

Correct. Ansible deploys replace it.

1 Like

Hi, I gave this a couple of more shots and still running into deploy errors. Would you be able to offer some guidance from here?

Thanks!

FYI pasting a bunch of text as an image isn’t very helpful — all I was wanna do is copy/paste your error message into Google :wink:

1 Like

Hah! Sorry, I know that’s annoying. I read a post you made on editing the deploy file and I provisioned the server and then deployed and this error came up. I’ve tried reinstalling ansible as someone with this error on the forums tried that and it worked but no dice for me. I’m trying to deploy onto an ubuntu server but wondering if I also need WordPress already installed on that server as well before deploying.

I was compressing the image too though haha but not as helpful as pasting it I’m sure

failed: [45.55.44.40 -> 127.0.0.1] => {“cmd”: “rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --no-owner --no-group --rsh ‘ssh -S none -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no’ --chmod=Du=rwx --chmod=Dg=rx --chmod=Do=rx --chmod=Fu=rw --chmod=Fg=r --chmod=Fo=r --out-format=’<>%i %n%L’ “/Users/jonathanroot/Sites/hthroots/site/web/app/themes/hthglobal/dist” "web@45.55.44.40:/srv/www/hthroots.com/releases/20160101144757/web/app/themes/hthglobal”", “failed”: true, “rc”: 12}
msg: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-45/rsync/io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]

@Jonathan See if discourse#4523 helps (make sure your theme is on remote server, update your rsync version, and deal with subtree variable if necessary). I’m not sure which version of Trellis you are using, so note that since that thread, the subtree variable was renamed subtree_path on Sep 6, 2015, then repo_subtree_path on Dec 29, 2015.

See also discourse#4029

If your Trellis version is as new as Dec 28, 2015 and roots/trellis#454 hasn’t yet been merged, you could see if it helps to edit your hosts/development file:

+ 127.0.0.1 ansible_connection=local

Thank you and happy new year to everyone at Roots! I will check this out!