Experience issues installing NPM in the sage theme directory. I’ve completed over 20 installs of Roots and Bedrock + Sage and have never run into this. Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue is here?
user@host:/var/www/bedrock/web/app/themes/sage$ npm install
npm WARN unmet dependency /var/www/bedrock/web/app/themes/sage/node_modules/asset-builder/node_modules/main-bower-files requires minimatch@'^1.0.0' but will load
… (and the list continued).
Tried moving the node_modules directory and running “npm install”. The result was “Process Killed” after waiting about 15 minutes. Check the node_modules directory and some modules are there, but it seems incomplete. Any recommendations?
Same situation as Michael - we’ve deployed a ton of Roots/Sage sites in the past, and this is only just happening… I work on a Sage site of some sort every single day, and the first one I provision today this happened.
I’ve now (probably) made the problem worse by trying to fix…
OK, I have fixed it, although I have no idea why it suddenly happened… I (as I’m sure is the case with many devs) haven’t shut my macbook down in a week or so, I just close the lid… I was working absolutely fine on a Sage 8.1 site yesterday, and nothing has changed on my laptop… so why it would get screwy today (on the same day as you) after working perfectly for 18 months, through the ages and ascension of Roots & Sage… I have no idea…
I only actually found this thread thru Googling for the problem.
@ben Sorry for posting an environment issue. For what it’s worth the feedback from you and Doug was very helpful, and ultimately lead me to resolving the issue.
@doug Good call on the $sudo npm install -g n, $sudo n stable. I basically just started fresh, installing node and npm according to the nodesource guidelines for Ubuntu.
One key issue to note is even after performing a strict install of node and npm, I still ran into problems with ‘npm install’ and ‘gulp’ commands in the theme directory. After running ‘npm install’ in the theme directory, I was returned with a thow err, as some dependencies were missing. I resolved the error by manually installing the missing dependency which in this case was browser-sync. I’ve posted more detailed instructions on TutorialShares. In case anyone reading this is running into the same issue with their install on Ubuntu, here’s what I did.