Questions from a Roots beginner

Hi,

I’ve been researching and looking into revamping my workflow with Roots for the last couple of months. I’m still confused about a few things and have some questions, as I’ve never used the command line or any of the applications that come with it. I’m currently a Windows user.

1. If I was to just use Sage, what would be required by me to easily implement version control and deployment? Am I able to use something like SourceTree and Bitbucket for version control and deploybot to deploy the site to the remote server? If so, is this difficult to setup with Sage? Which folders in the Sage theme folder would need to be excluded from a deployment so only the site itself is moved to the remote server?

2. If the above is not possible or is not a great idea, how can I get started with Bedrock and Trellis? Do they have their own methods for version control? can I still use SourceTree and Bitbucket for version control somewhere amidst the rest of the new workflow? How much of the deployment is automated when using the full Roots setup?

3. I need to be able to collaborate with other members of my team, who should also have access to the same project simultaneously. Is this possible?

I’m a complete newbie to everything Roots. I’ve read forums for days and read/watched the documentation and screencasts. Any help or some points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

1. I’m not familiar with Deploybot really. If it is unable to have node installed to run gulp, then you would probably need to commit the compiled assets to the repository, which isn’t ideal, but is possible. I might suggest looking into a continuous integration setup like Codeship, as that can definitely run node as it’s a VPS, and deploy everything for you.

2. Getting started with Bedrock and Trellis is a great idea. Version control like Git is a requirement for Trellis to be able to deploy. Check out the example project to get a sense of how all the Roots projects can work together: https://github.com/roots/roots-example-project.com

3. How do you collaborate currently? Version control takes care of all code. Trellis does not handle any type of collaborative database syncing like some would like. This is however an issue with basically any web app that is heavily database driven but doesn’t rely on any form of database migrations and seeding. There have been many ideas discussed here on the forums.

Hope that helps

1 Like