Roots 7.0.0 Failed to load resource -- missing scripts.js?

I’m not sure if I’m just doing something wrong with the latest Roots version but I’m getting the following error when I attempt to load any page with a fresh install of Roots 7.0.0.

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (scripts.js, line 0) http://mysite.dev/wp-content/themes/my-theme/assets/js/scripts.js

I’m not using Bedrock in this case and I have added define('WP_ENV', 'development'); to my wp-config.php file. I have verified that the scripts.js file doesn’t exist and I have grunt running via grunt watch (which is working for CSS and apparently JavaScript as well besides this issue).

I notice that there is a line in lib/scripts.php that sets the js value in the $assets array to 'js' => '/assets/js/scripts.min.js' . '?' . $assets['assets/js/scripts.min.js']['hash'], but only if the WP_ENV is set to development.

I tried just modifying my _main.js file to trigger a recompile for grunt and perhaps generate the scripts.js file but it doesn’t. Anyone know what’s going on here?

Did you run npm intall on the theme root directory before grunt watch?

I did run npm install – but I figured it out and it was a hidden file oversight on my part. I moved the theme files, not using the folder for some reason, after unzipping and didn’t get the . files like .jshintrc, .bowerrc, etc.

Feel free to delete this thread or keep it up if it helps for other people.