Roots 7.0.0 install issues

Hi there,

I just downloaded the new Roots 7.0.0 version and tried to install it following the slightly new instructions, but I can’t seem to get everything working without errors.

First of all, I installed bower and Git on my development server.
Then from the roots theme folder I run the command npm install, but that gives me a warning:

npm WARN cannot run in wd roots@7.0.0 bower install (wd=/sitename/wp-content/themes/roots)

then when I run the command grunt build I get the following error:

Running "less:build" (less) task
>> FileError: '../vendor/bootstrap/less/variables.less' wasn't found in assets/less/_bootstrap.less on line 8, column 1:
>> 7 // Variables
>> 8 @import "../vendor/bootstrap/less/variables";
>> 9 @import "_variables"; // Bootstrap variable overrides and custom variables
Warning: Error compiling assets/less/main.less Use --force to continue.

Which makes sense because there isn’t any …/vendor/bootstrap/less/variables.less folder?
What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!

Never mind, sorry about that.

I didn’t install bower correctly, I had to run sudo npm install -g bower again and install some additional Xcode components. After that, the command npm install installed all the bower packages and dependencies correctly!

I am having this exact same issue. What were the other dependencies you installed after bower?

Right now when I attempt to install bower globally, I get the following part way through the install:

/usr/bin/bower -> /usr/lib/node_modules/bower/bin/bower
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/block-stream requires inherits@'~2.0.0' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency undefined,
npm WARN unmet dependency which is version undefined
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/fstream requires inherits@'~2.0.0' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/fstream-ignore requires inherits@'2' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/fstream-npm requires inherits@'2' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/glob requires inherits@'2' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/npmconf requires inherits@'~2.0.0' but will load
npm WARN unmet dependency /usr/lib/node_modules/tar requires inherits@'2' but will load

Try running npm update before you install.

Nothing updated. And the global bower install returned the same error results.

I am running as root if that makes a difference. Because I was also experiencing the error below when I run npm install.

npm WARN cannot run in wd roots@7.0.0 node node_modules/bower/bin/bower install && grunt dev (wd=/var/www/html/development/wordpress/wp-content/themes/roots)

npm downgrades privileges before executing scripts, so you shouldn’t run as root.

For global installs/updates, use sudo.

For local installs/updates, make sure your user has rwx privs (without escalation) on the wd before running npm.