Roots installation step 2

Hi, just started using roots and command line, but I’m a little stuck on step 2, it says navigate to the theme directory, then run npm install, how exactly do you do this?

I’ve tried C:\xampp\htdocs–my-installation–\ npm install

Your theme directory is where you installed Roots. So should be something like C:\xampp\htdocs\sitename\wp-content\themes\roots

I’m getting an error message ‘C:…’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

It seems you’re stuck on some of the basic steps of the theme development workflow that Roots uses. This forum isn’t really designed to walk you through basic command line tasks but there should be enough links peppered throughout the documentation to get you setup and help you familiarize yourself with the command line. Furthermore, see here: http://roots.io/roots-should-not-be-your-first-wordpress-theme/

you must install nodejs if you dont have npmanager package yet.

I’m no expert but I think its a 2 part process (assuming you have grunt installed as in step 1). First use command line to get to your themes directory and then use npm install. So something like this…

1. markgray$ cd xampp\htdocs\sitename\wp-content\themes\your-roots-theme

then once in your-roots-theme directory

1. your-roots-theme markgray$ npm install