Roots with WSL 2

WSL 2 is due for general release on May 28th. Whilst I know it’s been available for a while with insider builds. Do we know if the roots guide for Windows setup needs updating for WSL 2? I am seeing conflicting reports whether Virtualbox works with WSL 2.

Microsoft
Some 3rd party applications cannot work when Hyper-V is in use, which means they will not be able to run when WSL 2 is enabled, such as VMware and VirtualBox. However, recently both VirtualBox and VMware have released versions that support Hyper-V and WSL2! You can learn more about VirtualBox’s changes here and VMware’s changes here.

• I followed the VirtualBox link and found no mention of WSL 2 at all.

I’ve recently had to start using Windows at work instead of OSX, and I am relatively new to the Windows setup. It’s working, just slow in areas, working on it and will report back.

We haven’t had any actual reports yet, so if you do try it out it would be appreciated if you report back and let us know if it worked or not :smile:

I haven’t had any issues regarding Hyper V, Vagrant or Virtual Box. But i get another problem with WP-CLI on vagrant up like i mentioned in another post: Bad Signature from “WP-CLI Releases” using the latest versions of Virtual Box and Vagrant.

I am using a docker setup for developing with roots.io bedrock/sage instead of using vagrant.
Vagrant has always been painful for me, Docker also got issues but it is still much better.

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.