Sage Not Deploying Locally w/ Gulp Watch

Hey guys, I’ve run into a strange issue. I have two seemingly identical versions of Trellis/Bedrock/Sage.

This one opens in my browser fine when I vagrant up then run gulp watch.

This one just hangs there and spins with a blank screen.

I could have sworn they were configured using the exact same process. I’m going to look over it a few more times, but was mainly wondering if this could be due to an update or bug.

Edit: I ended up duplicating my working project, re-installing npm and bower packages, then gulped gulp watched again. Same thing happens– localhost:3000 doesn’t load. It almost seems my global system isn’t configured to run multiple Roots projects locally. I’ll keep looking into it.

To better define how someone might be able to help me– I’m not sure what determines “localhost:3000” or where to troubleshoot. Is it an issue with Vagrant? Gulp? or Browsersync?.

1 Like

Did you add your (or which domain you setup) in assets/manifest.json at the bottom? Maybe you’re seeing the white screen because the proxy isn’t working correctly and by changing that url it will.

If you do have it check for a typo. I think you have in Trellis and in manifest.

1 Like

I thought you figured it out! That was a good catch.

So I matched my site_hosts: in Trellis to my url in assets/manifest.json.

I run gulp watch, all looks good:

Masons-iMac:sage Mason$ gulp watch
[16:01:40] Using gulpfile ~/Sites/thebrutesquad-net/site/web/app/themes/sage/gulpfile.js
[16:01:40] Starting 'watch'...
[16:01:40] Finished 'watch' after 22 ms
[BS] Proxying:
[BS] Access URLs:
       Local: http://localhost:3000
          UI: http://localhost:3001
 UI External:

[BS] Watching files...

But when it opens http://localhost:3000 – I get the same spinning blank page which eventually loads:

This webpage is not available


I hope it’s not a typo or syntax error, but I’ve crosschecked them more times than I can count.

EDIT: I’m going to try starting from scratch and make sure I didn’t miss anything. Will keep posted.

Does this help?

1 Like

Hey Ben, that seemed to do the trick! Somehow I always forget to manage my etc/hosts file.

I ended up cleaning it up like you suggested, then respun up a Trellis/Bedrock/Sage project. Local dev rolled out with gulp watch.

Worked like a charm. Thank you!

I’m having an identical issue. Tried clearing out hosts file to no avail. wordpress_sites.yml host matches manifest.json. Tried the post mentioned by benword. Been battling this for a few days now. New to roots/sage. Let me know what I can do to give you greater assistance with debugging this.


No idea what could be causing it, but I’ve found that sometimes doing a vagrant destroy and vagrant up will fix that.

Seems like something must be broken.

If that doesn’t work and I were you, I might just respinning the entire thing from scratch just for the practice. But I don’t think this is an ongoing issue so that should solve it. Keep me posted.