Understanding Webpack: a nice talk

sage9

Thanks to Sage 9, I’ve been learning more and more about Webpack but it still seems like a lot of magic that I don’t really understand…

By chance, I just came across a nice talk titled “Webpack: It’s Not Magic” and it helped me get a much better understanding of what is actually going on so I thought I’d share it here:

It goes for about 30 minutes but it’s well worth a watch :smiley:

Installation without composer

I think the hard part for newcomers to webpack is that it definitely looks like magic, which is not what an engineer wants to see when they try something new. I recently built a non-WP project and built my own webpack setup for the first time, and the “just works” magic was disconcerting.

@JulienMelissas quote-tweeted this the other day, and it’s not wrong:

That’s it exactly! The other hard part is that the JS world moves so quickly and there are so many different concepts to understand that you can very easily get lost in the acronyms and current buzz words… Compounding that, the “documentation” for many projects is very limited and if you don’t have enough experience yet, it can be daunting to know where to start understanding it all. :weary: