Using controllers or filters to output custom fields

I’m trying to output custom fields using the best practices from the Sage book (wonderful read, worthy buy!). However I’m just not getting it! I have tried both the filter method and the controller method, to no avail.

I have added the following to filters.php:

add_filter('sage/template/page/data', function (array $data) {
$data['header_image'] = get_field('header_image');
$data['short_description'] = get_field('short_description');
return $data;
});

And in my template I’m doing the following code:

{{ $short_description }}

From what I gather this is what’s required, however I’m not getting any output. The following code works wonders.

{{ get_field('short_description') }}

What am I doing wrong?

Looks like you may be running into this problem: Sage 9 - Passing ACF data via Blade not working The simplest solution is to remove soberwp/controller of you aren’t using it.

Without more information on how you tried to implement Controller, it’s hard to debug what might have gone wrong there.

Thanks a bunch! If I don’t get it working I’ll disable soberwp/controller.

I tried to implement Controller like this:
<?php // @app/controllers/front-page.php

namespace App;

use Sober\Controller\Controller;
class FrontPage extends Controller
{
    public function shortDescription()
    {
        return get_field('short_description');
    }

}

And in front-page.blade.php:

{!! $short_description !!}

I’m only using controller to get title and siteName, from the standard setup after installing sage with Composer, so I might just as well remove it. Would still like to get it to work though :slight_smile:

If you’re using a newer version of Controller (i.e. 2.0.0) then your controllers need to conform to PSR-4. In this case, that means that front-page.php needs to be FrontPage.php. Additionally, the namespace for Controllers has changed w/ 2.0.0, so you need to change the namespace to App\Controllers.

I updated to version 2.0.0 of Controller, but ran into further issues!

Fatal error: Uncaught ReflectionException: Class App\Controllers\App does not exist in /Users/nadal/Web/lakegarden/web/app/themes/lakegarden/vendor/soberwp/controller/src/Loader.php:119

Perhaps I should just remove Controller and work with filters instead. HOwever when I remove Controller I run into further issues… hmmm

OK, I solved the issue with upgrading to 2.0.0 from help from other forum posts! I still cannot access ACF data from neither controllers nor filters.

This is my FrontPage.php controller:

<?php // @app/controllers/FrontPage.php

namespace App\Controllers;

use Sober\Controller\Controller;

class FrontPage extends Controller
{
    public function shortDescription()
    {
        return get_field('short_description');
    }

}

And this is how I’m calling it:

{!! $short_description !!}

If I try changing the return statement to just return a string, it works perfectly, so there is some issue with calling the custom field. Any idea?

Any chance the short_description field is in a loop of other posts? If so, you’ll want to use a static method and pass that post’s ID.

That is correct, it is in a loop of other posts. So what’s the benefits of using it in a controller rather than just calling get_field in the template?

Cleanliness and consistency mostly.

I honestly go back and forth. If I don’t have any other messy logic (like I don’t need to deal with whether short_description is blank) then I’ll sometimes call get_field() in the blade files.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll see if I can get it working properly - I’m planning to use the get_field in another controller which loops over custom queries, so I’ll have to try getting it working in the controller.