Using SASS variables defined in _variables in other scss files breaks compile

Back in Roots, I used to define LESS variables inside the _variables file and then use @foobar throughout the rest of my less files. This made organizing and modifying a list of global variables very easy.

Using Sage with SASS now, I’ve set the variables up in the same way (except I’m using $ instead of @ for the variables).

When I performed a gulp or just gulp styles I received the most atrocious error.

gulp(29579,0x10700a000) malloc: *** error for object 0x1072ad75c: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
Abort trap: 6

Which is odd because prior to adding my styles, it compiled fine.

So after some debugging, where I commented out files that I modified from main.scss with success and then compiling only 1 modified file and then modifying that file until it compiled. I narrowed the issue down to variables.

If the variable $foobar I’m using isn’t defined specifically in that file, then I get the above error. If I define it, it runs perfectly fine.

Is there something I’m missing? Am I just using it incorrectly?

Please let me know there’s some workaround for this.
Thanks.

that’s weird. after a quick search a stumbled upon this Github discussion, maybe that helps.

If you’re not able to solve it, try to get the latest version of sage, maybe you got a version with some issues when some edge cases apply …