Virtual Box Vagrant Crashes

I did run it from Trellis. I also experimented with the VB GUI. Been going around in circles.

@azzcatdesign I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. Thanks for having managed to keep a cooperative tone here. You avoided the entitled and blaming exasperation that sometimes creeps in for people in a desperate tools/project situation.

Will probably have to hire help rather than find it in forum. I think you’ll need some one-on-one assistance, more than this thread can offer. As @alwaysblank suggested, this looks similar to reports of kernel panic issues that will probably have a very disheartening prognosis. Examples: one, two, three

I don’t think this is a Roots issue. I think it’s more of a mix of vagrant + VB + mac kernel, which probably means everybody’s going to say “wrong forum.” And although this is a friendly forum, it’s probably not really a forum that must try to address the issue. In any case, if you end up seeking hired assistance, I endorse everyone who has posted above.

To use Roots stuff or not.

I don’t think this is a issue others do face or will face. I don’t recall any recent related reports here on Roots discourse. I suspect if you personally temporarily switch to a different machine, you and your colleagues won’t have to face the issue anymore.

So, you could do the non-VM workaround that you mentioned, but…
:star: I’d encourage you to try to find a different machine to work on till you’ve passed your most urgent deadlines. :star2:

If you decide to troubleshoot further, maybe the following questions and techniques will help.

Try avoiding NFS. Your Vagrantfile looks fine as posted, but could you try @alwaysblank’s suggestion of avoiding NFS? Comment out all of this sync config except this portion and vagrant reload (or save db, vagrant destroy and vagrant up).

The above edit of disabling NFS may cause you to run into issues of performance speed or the permissions issues discussed at roots/trellis#82 and roots/trellis#83 (when Trellis started using NFS).

Achieve consistent method to reproduce, then manipulate variables. Ideally your first step in troubleshooting would be to find a technique for consistently reproducing the issue. Then start cutting out as many variables as possible, testing after each, noting when the problem stops.

For example, if you use some text editor other than Coda, does the issue still happen? Related ideas for avoiding Coda and reducing reliance on the Vagrant sync folder:

What if you don’t use SourceTree?

The notes above show you how to eliminate NFS as a variable.

You could also see if it is reproducible while removing VirtualBox as a variable, using instead virtualization alternatives such as Parallels or VMware, if you have them.

Conflicting virtualization? Simplify the troubleshooting (remove more variables) by powering off or destroying any other VirtualBox VMs. Check the VB GUI for orphaned VMs. Also check vagrant global-status for any weird extra VMs and destroy them if possible. If this last command lists VMs that no longer exist in VB, you can vagrant global-status --prune to remove them from the list. And if you do have such virtualization alternatives like Parallels and VMware, be sure they aren’t running while you test on Vagrant + VB.

Think back to better days. Was there ever a period during which this didn’t happen? If so, what has changed with your system since? Maybe recent kernel Mac kernel updates? Updated VB, try a rollback to the previously known working version. Same with Vagrant; maybe rollback to previously working Vagrant version.

Other logs. Maybe check for any helpful info reports in the various

• ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
  • /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
2 Likes

@fullyint Thank you for this in-depth answer. This forum has been much more helpful (and much less snarky) than the others. I saved my venting for Twitter. :wink:

Thanks for linking the mac kernel posts. I’ll pass them on to the engineer when he returns from vacation next week.

There is no other machine for me. Heck, I just dropped $3000 on this MBP 3 mos. ago…and re-homed the old iMac to son.

Now, about NFS…THANKS for showing me exactly what to do…I did not have a clue. I pruned the file just as you recommend.

I have tried to remove variables, and close out unessential apps. However, with the pressure on, now is not the time for me to try new editors and such.

Re @alwaysblank’s suggestion…I don’t understand what edits I would make from inside the VM, nor how to do it, nor nano or vim. So I’m going to let those lie.

I could go w/o SourceTree, but my command line Git skills aren’t great…nor do I see that as the issue. Heck…with all the crashes, I’ve barely committed any code last 4 days!

Aaaand…I don’t have/am not going down the path of other virtualization alternative.

Now, the good stuff: THANKS for the vagrant global-status check! Apparently, there were some VBs hanging around…not in the VB GUI, or file tree, but when I ran the check, there were 2 extras! So I destroyed ALL the VBs (like vermin!), checked again, saw I had zero VBs and built a fresh VB one. more. time.

I wish I could roll back to when it worked, but I’ve really only begun to work on the theme this last week. Did the setup a few weeks ago, but not much more work than getting my baseline grids/typography going…no blade or js files. Have had multiple updates incl. OS since then. So, gotta move forward at this point.

Interesting thing…I’ve been looking in DiagnosticReports and have seen nothing relevant–particularly no panic.log files. So while I’ve experienced more than a dozen crashes–which appear to be a kernel panic–there’s no trail in the log files. I can loop back to Apple support and let them know. They had me reinstall my OS last weekend.

Anyway, I’m encouraged that I found the rogue VBs. One was even ‘running’. Fingers crossed that that’s the crux of issue.

Again, I sincerely thank you for your help! It’s been very frustrating, but at least I can say tried X, tried Y, etc.

1 Like

Just to confirm, you did this in Terminal with vagrant up from your Trellis directory, right? Not from inside Virtualbox at all?

Correct. Done within Terminal.

1 Like

@ben @MWDelaney @fullyint @alwaysblank

3/2/2018 TaaaaDaaaaa!

No crashes today. Working in blade templates, js and scss. Even added back the removed lines in Vagrantfile for better performance.

I’m going to say the culprit(s) were the hidden VMs hijacking my computer.

Happy Friday and thanks to everyone for your help!

1 Like