What is the most correct way to import and use custom fonts in Sage 10?

I know the question is pretty broad, but after reading all the previous discussions about custom fonts I still find issues making them work correctly locally and in production.

Using ~@fonts would make the path to the font not correct, while using ../resources/fonts/ would create issues building styles.
The only way I was able to display the fonts in production was by changing how .setPublicPath is set, which I think it’s not a good idea.

Thus, any hint would be incredibly welcome. Thank you for all the great work!

What about ~@fonts makes the path incorrect?

Hi @Log1x thanks for your reply. This is the path I get when calling it with ~@fonts

GET http://<redacted-locahost>/fonts/SourceSansPro-Regular.woff2 net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

It’s a good idea to set the public path. It should solve this issue.

Hi @ben that is indeed how my path is set.
At some point, just for testing, I tried to edit the path by making it match to the built font assets path (e.g. wp-content/<redacted-theme-name>/...). In this way in the production environemnt the fonts were showing, but I guess this is definitely not the way to go.

I’m having a hard time understanding you.

Why would you show us a truncated path as an example? What was the actual full path that you tried? It should look something like this:

• /app/themes/your-theme-name/public (for Bedrock installs)
  • /wp-content/themes/your-theme-name/public (for regular WP installs)

It should start with a /. It should end with /public. It shouldn’t contain a path to a font directory.

You keep repeating that setting the public path isn’t the answer. That is incorrect. You must set the public path to the correct directory.

Hi Ben, I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear.

On an old simple WP install I tried /wp-content/themes/my-theme-name/public.

And, this is the path I have now, together with a Bedrock install: /app/themes/my-theme-name/public.

I wasn’t able to show the custom font in either cases. Especially now, using /app/themes/my-theme-name/public and calling the font with:

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Oswald';
  src: url('~@fonts/Oswald-Regular.woff2') format('woff2');
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  font-display: swap;
}

I get the following error in my console: GET http://<my-local-url>/fonts/SourceSansPro-Regular.woff2 net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found). What I don’t understand is what step I’m missing or what I’m overlooking.

Thanks very much for your help!

You provided example code for a font face named Oswald but your 404 is for a different font entirely :confused:

It’s very difficult to piece this all together by the small bits of code that you’re providing on here. If you’d like to push up a git repo that has a minimal reproduction of your issue, then please share it.

I’m sorry, my mistake, it’s the same with the Oswald font though: GET http://<my-local-url>/fonts/Oswald-Bold.woff2 net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

The custom fonts are placed in /resources/fonts folder, so I’m just trying to understand what I’m doing wrong and if there’s some knowledge I’m missing.

If you’d like to push up a git repo that has a minimal reproduction of your issue, then please share it.