Which local box for Bedrock?

Outside of putzing about on local development I haven’t really spent any time with bedrock or Trellis yet. I’m working on a new version of my own site and I’d like to use Bedrock, and Composer.

I’m on a shared host (SiteGround) so Trellis isn’t going to work on production. I’ve toyed with the idea of moving to DO, but I’m paid up at SiteGround for 6 more months and, all told, I’m pretty happy with what they provide.

That said, I’m wondering what people are using for local development, with Bedrock, when not using Trellis.

I considered using Trellis just on local, but then I’m not sure how I’d handle the env variables - if I’m not using Trellis to deploy, do I set the environment variables only in Bedrock, or do I set them up in Trellis still, or both?

Assuming I want to use cap for deployments, would that mean I definitely should not be using Trellis on my local environment?

Sorry if these are obvious, I’ve spent most of my down time today browsing forum posts, but I’m still not entirely clear on what the best fit is. Basically, there’s 2 scenarios -

Using Bedrock, but not using Trellis on the remote, not deploying with cap.

Using Bedrock, but not using Trellis on the remote, deploying with cap.

What are some suggestions for local development in both of these scenarios?

Currently I’ve been using VVV for most of my stuff - it’s been cool, but I’d like to start exploring some other options.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I’m biased but I don’t really see a reason not to use Trellis in this case anyway. It’s probably the easiest way to get a Bedrock site up and running.

I guess you might have a bit of duplication in Trellis configs and the .env file but that’s pretty minor.

1 Like

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, wouldn’t have guessed :wink:

1 Like

That’s cool, and good to know. I’d definitely prefer to use Trellis. I set Bedrock up last night with Scotch Box and there was definitely a little bit of tweaking to be done.