Wp_localize_script not working in Sage 9?

First of all: I know there are several topics in this forum already touching issues like that, but I have read them all and they do not provide a solution.

My problem is the following:
I’m trying to localize my scripts to pass a nonce to the main javascript file. However it does not seam to work in Sage 9. Here is my code:

wp_enqueue_script('sage/main.js', asset_path('scripts/main.js'), ['jquery'], null, true);

$ajax_params = array(
    'ajax_url' => admin_url('admin-ajax.php'),
    'ajax_nonce' => wp_create_nonce('my_nonce'),
);

wp_localize_script('sage/main.js', 'ajax_object', $ajax_params);

The JS variable “ajax_object” remains in the script. Do you face similar troubles (is it a bug) or am I doing something the wrong way?

5 Likes

Have you found a solution to this yet? I am trying to do the same thing.

Not yet. I’ll keep this thread updated, as soon as I’ll make progress.

You’ve only posted a small snippet of your code, but based on some experimentation with a clean Sage install, my guess is that you’re not putting these function calls inside of an appropriate action. In app/setup.php, the original call to wp_enqueue_script() is wrapped in an add_action() call to wp_enqueue_scripts. When the code you posted is put inside that call, it appears to work correctly:

// app/setup.php
add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', function () {
    wp_enqueue_script('sage/main.js', asset_path('scripts/main.js'), ['jquery'], null, true);
    $ajax_params = array(
        'ajax_url' => admin_url('admin-ajax.php'),
        'ajax_nonce' => wp_create_nonce('my_nonce'),
    );

wp_localize_script('sage/main.js', 'ajax_object', $ajax_params);
}, 100);
// resources/assets/scripts/routes/common.js
export default {
  init() {
    // eslint-disable-next-line no-undef
    console.log(ajax_object);
  },
  finalize() {},
};

(Without the line // eslint-disable-next-line no-undef, yarn build will throw an error when you try to compile your JS.)

// browser console
Object { ajax_url: "http://sand.box/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php", ajax_nonce: "1a1b086c5c" }

Just running wp_enqueue_script/style on its own has no effect: It needs to be hooked to an action so it’s run at the appropriate time. wp_enqueue_scripts is generally a good hook to grab onto for that purpose.

13 Likes

In support to this I suggest to read this article. :raised_hands:

The same setup works for me without any issues.

I was having the same problem (non problem?)

Issue was that eslint doesn’t detect the variable. Simply disabling it for that line as indicated above worked for me.

Thanks alwaysblank!

Alternatively, add it to globals in the ESLint config:

4 Likes

Hi, I am having the same issue. I followed the same processed as describied above but I am still getting “error ‘admin_url’ is not defined no-undef” when trying to compile.
I added the following line in routes/common.js without success "
console.log(ajax_object);"
Any thought?

Here is my code:
// app/setup
add_action(‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, function () {
wp_enqueue_script(‘sage/main.js’, asset_path(‘scripts/main.js’), [‘jquery’], null, true);

wp_localize_script( 'sage/main.js', 'admin_url', array( 
    'ajax_url' => admin_url( 'admin-ajax.php' ), 
 ) );

}, 100);

function advanceSearch(){
/* function code goes here */

header(“content-type: application/json”);
echo json_encode($list);
die;
}
// main.js
$(’#post-subject’).on(‘click’, function(){
var postData = {
action: ‘advanceSearch’,
search_post: postblog,
};
jQuery.ajax({
url: admin_url.ajax_url,
type: ‘post’,
data: postData,
}).done(function(response){
console.log(response);
})
})

After running yarn I get this error message from main.js:
“error ‘admin_url’ is not defined no-undef”

See above:

1 Like

Thanks @ben for responding. “wp” is already set to true under global object in eslintrc.js.

According to the eslint online documentation https://eslint.org/docs/rules/no-undef
it seems like the js object “admin_url” declared in the wp_localize_script: wp_localize_script( ‘sage/main.js’, ‘admin_url’, array(
‘ajax_url’ => admin_url( ‘admin-ajax.php’ )
) );
has to be explicitly mentioned in a /global …/ comment. I tried to do the following in common.js: but I am not sure if it is the right way of getting around that “no-undef” lint error

init() {
/global admin_url/
/eslint no-undef: “error”/
},

You would need to add admin_url to the globals definition:

"globals": {
  "wp": true,
  "admin_url": true
},

The globals definition in your ESLint config is essentially telling ESLint “Please don’t check to see if the variables I’ve set to ‘true’ here are defined in my scripts: they will be globally available when the scripts run.”

3 Likes

That fixed the ESlint error. Thanks, @alwaysblank !

You can also get around this by adding the following:

const admin_url = window.admin_url;