Suppressing no connection to wordpress.org error message

I understand that the reason that these three error messages are shown because I have wp-debugg set to on, while Bedrock turns off the connection in config/application.php. But I wonder if there is any intelligent way of suppressing just these three messages, since they are kind of annoying and I know the source of the error message. The messages are in Swedish, but I think you can figure it out.

Warning: Ett oväntat fel inträffade. Något kan vara fel med WordPress.org eller denna serverkonfiguration. Om du fortsätter ha problem, besök supportforumet. (WordPress kunde inte skapa en säker anslutning mot WordPress.org. Vänligen kontakta ditt webbhotell eller serveradministratör.) in /srv/www/cleanForm.dev/current/web/wp/wp-includes/update.php on line 119

Warning: Ett oväntat fel inträffade. Något kan vara fel med WordPress.org eller denna serverkonfiguration. Om du fortsätter ha problem, besök supportforumet. (WordPress kunde inte skapa en säker anslutning mot WordPress.org. Vänligen kontakta ditt webbhotell eller serveradministratör.) in /srv/www/cleanForm.dev/current/web/wp/wp-includes/update.php on line 287

Warning: Ett oväntat fel inträffade. Något kan vara fel med WordPress.org eller denna serverkonfiguration. Om du fortsätter ha problem, besök supportforumet. (WordPress kunde inte skapa en säker anslutning mot WordPress.org. Vänligen kontakta ditt webbhotell eller serveradministratör.) in /srv/www/cleanForm.dev/current/web/wp/wp-includes/update.php on line 435

It’s on our Todo list as its annoying for us as well :smile:

We’re probably just going to stop the plugin/theme update checks entirely since we recommend doing it all through Composer.

Good to know :wink: thank you for the quick response.

Is there a quick fix that we could employ now to stop these errors? These errors/warnings are slowing my admin side down a bunch because it’s just timing out on every page for connection to WordPress.org

I tried disable updates manager (http://wordpress.org/plugins/stops-core-theme-and-plugin-updates/) but it didn’t work at suppressing these errors.

UPDATE – Solved my speed issue, though I’m still getting warnings. I put this in the roots/assets/lib/config.php file (just put in wp-config.php if not using Roots theme, I suppose).

define( 'WP_HTTP_BLOCK_EXTERNAL', true );

I did read that this has to do with not having port 80 open on the server, so I’m wondering if that’s the best fix. Looking into how to do that now…

That’s a useful constant I didn’t know about. I don’t know how that plugin works but seems like it might be disabling them in a not entirely correct/complete way.

Pretty sure you shouldn’t see those warnings if they weren’t checking for updates at all.

Just a note that I’ve committed a fix for this: https://github.com/roots/bedrock-ansible/commit/38c32986ebe2c73df02ab86688f43c12c6bab431

1 Like

@swalkinshaw as always, you are a rockstar!