Add custom font to Sage9+TailwindCSS

How do I add Roboto font to my Sage 9.0.9 + TailwindCSS 1.4.1 site?

Here is my progress so far.

  1. I downloaded and copied Roboto TTFs to assets/fonts.
ls assets/fonts
  1. In tailwind.config.js, I moved existing entry 'Roboto' to the top of sans entry like this:
fontFamily section at tailwind.config.js
    fontFamily: {
      sans: [
        'Roboto', /*we should now use Roboto when displaying font-sans class*/
        '"Segoe UI"',
        /*'Roboto', - moved from here to the top*/
      serif: ['Georgia', 'Cambria', ...],
  1. I made sure that TailwindCSS picks the first entry from fontFamily when evaluating font-* entries. I tried swapping serif fonts Georgia and Cambria.
Screenshots - it worked
    fontFamily: {
      serif: ['Georgia', 'Cambria', ...],
      /*serif: ['Cambria', 'Georgia', ...],*/


<div class="text-3xl font-serif">This is Georgia font</div>
<!-- <div class="text-3xl font-serif">This is Cambria font now</div> -->


  1. However, I can’t display my sans- family text with Roboto. Roboto font is not displayed in Dev Tools, I always see Segoe UI instead in Dev tools.

My blade file and Dev tools screenshot:

<div class="text-3xl font-sans">This is always Segoe UI, not Roboto :(</div>

There is no new dist/fonts folder in my site directory after building.
I looked at the existing topics but could’t find relevant posts unfortunately.

What do I miss here?


You probably need to include the Roboto font by @font-face, see:

1 Like

Either your font files are not being found, due to incorrect paths or you should check you’re using quotes in your tailwind config like “Roboto”, Instead of Roboto,

thanks @huubl,
I can see now that my build outputs folder dist/fonts/Roboto/

My next issue is the build generates incorrect font URL for some reason. This is my wrong font URL which results is 404 error on my page:


By looking at other resource URLs, I can figure out what would be the correct URL value:


The wrong URL part is wp-content. It should be should be app instead:

wrong   - http://localsite.test/wp-content/themes/mytheme/dist/fonts/Roboto/Roboto-Medium.ttf
correct - http://localsite.test/app       /themes/mytheme/dist/fonts/Roboto/Roboto-Medium.ttf

What is missing now?

Ok, I don’t know what happened but my font URLs are correct now.

  • I went to
  • selected Roboto
  • ticked 100, 300, regular etc tickboxes
  • selected Modern Browsers
  • downloaded and extracted to assests/fonts
  • copied bunch of @font-face statements to styles/common/_fonts.scss
  • added @import "common/fonts"; to styles/main.scss
  • built my site again, my texts are displayed with Roboto as expected


 * This injects Tailwind's base styles, which is a combination of
 * Normalize.css and some additional base styles.
@tailwind base;

/** Import fonts */
@import "common/fonts";
/* roboto-100 - latin */

@font-face {
  font-family: "Roboto";
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 100;
  src: local("Roboto Thin"), local("Roboto-Thin"), url("../fonts/roboto-v20-latin/roboto-v20-latin-100.woff2") format("woff2"), url("../fonts/roboto-v20-latin/roboto-v20-latin-100.woff") format("woff");

/* roboto-100italic - latin */
@font-face {
  font-family: "Roboto";
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: 100;
  src: local("Roboto Thin Italic"), local("Roboto-ThinItalic"), url("../fonts/roboto-v20-latin/roboto-v20-latin-100italic.woff2") format("woff2"), url("../fonts/roboto-v20-latin/roboto-v20-latin-100italic.woff") format("woff");

ls /resources/assets/fonts

file list

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.