Adding custom fonts through Less

I’m basically trying to enable custom fonts using @font-face

@font-face {
	font-family: ViolentElegance;
	src: url('../wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf');
	src: url('../wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf')  format('truetype');	
}

However, I can’t figure out in which .less file I’m supposed to put that bit of CSS in - I’ve tried variables.less and app.less, and still the font refuses to load on non local browsers. Any insight into my problem would be golden! Thank you!

Currently the only fix I’ve been able to implement is adding the css inside a tag in head.php in the theme’s root folder. Which…seems kinda wrong. T_T

Have you uploaded the font to the server? may explain why it loads locally :wink:

1 Like

Yes, the font does exist on the server : http://gersande.com/wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf

I looked at your website, appears the font is loading fine with the inline styling on the h1,h2 etc…you resolve your issue?

As I wrote above in the second post:

Currently the only fix I’ve been able to implement is adding the css inside a tag in head.php in the theme’s root folder. Which…seems kinda wrong. T_T

This is a relative filepath issue. ../ means start one folder up, whereas / means start at the root.

So you either need to drop the .. for root relative, or drop the wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/. In future checking your console would probably help.

1 Like

The fixes you suggested did not resolve my error. After a lot of grumbling, I’m sticking the css in head.php and sighing a lot.

Use src: url('../fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf'); anywhere in your styles (assuming your CSS is compiled to assets/css/ and your fonts are in assets/fonts/)

I only see your @font-face declaring a TTF font. Some browsers may not render that so consider using http://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator to generate a complete @font-face package (or FontPrep if you prefer to do that locally).

I also see multiple rules for the font which are both causing 404 errors.

Towards the beginning of your LESS/CSS I see

@font-face {
	src: url('../wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf');
	src: url('../wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf') format('truetype');
}

and towards the end I also see

@font-face {
	src: url('wp-content/themes/drakkar2/assets/fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf');
}

Remove one of these because you only need to declare the font once and it’s probably confusing you.

../ means “go one directory up from the current directory this file is in” as @ben alluded to. Here is some brief info on absolute/relative URL structures which you should definitely peruse.

Your one final @font-face declaration should probably look more like this (though it should also contain more src rules/formats for wider browser support) assuming the two points @ben assumed:

@font-face {
	src: url('../fonts/ViolentElegance.ttf');
}