Adding plugin to composer after installed trough wordpress

Hi,

I have installed Wordpress plugins through usual admin interface.

After a deploy to staging environment, I realize that Bedrock is setup by default to manage plugin with Composer in stage/prod env.

As I see the advantage to use it after research about it and that I finally found this package that I wanted in packagist : Is it risky to required them with composer with a plugin like Polylang that affects a lot the database?

I don’t want to loose my translated texts or break the database structure for Polylang.

Thank you

Hey @jecko,

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong– I believe you can manually add plugins through the local dev only, and those aren’t setup to push to staging/production unless they’re installed to composer.

As far as Polylang goes, I don’t think there should be a problem. If it’s a huge concern, you may want to look into managed db backups.

You can tie in Polylang through wpackagist, which is convenient.

Although it looks like WPML is a roots recommended plugin that does the same thing.

Thank you, worked very well and confirm Composer is good to use.

Ohh gosh! My staging environnement stops to work after I re-deploy to update composer uses. Says:

TASK: [deploy | WordPress Installed?] ***************************************** 
failed: [XXX.XXX.XX.XXX] => {"changed": false, "cmd": ["wp", "core", "is-installed"], "delta": "0:00:00.043192", "end": "2016-04-07 14:14:38.329698", "failed": true, "failed_when_result": true, "rc": 1, "start": "2016-04-07 14:14:38.286506", "stdout_lines": [], "warnings": []}
stderr: Error: This does not seem to be a WordPress install.
Pass --path=`path/to/wordpress` or run `wp core download`.

All the WP files are there, read a lot of thing about similar error message but not sure that applies to my case.

Should I pass the --path parameter to deploy command?

Thank you