Additonal info for "Roots Share Buttons plugin", FAQ?

Hi there,

I am unsure as to whether this is the right place for my inquiry but I’ll try anyhow…

The Roots Share Buttons plugin sounds great so far and indeed I am tempted to try/buy but there are a few questions left unanswered and IMHO your sales page could use some more in-depth info regarding the functionality and other aspects of the plugin. I was thinking about an FAQ-area before “Why I made this plugin”, at least that would be where I’d expect and wish for it to be…

Some of my questions

• Just to make sure: Disabling any button (f.ex. for Linkedin) excludes the specific javascript / css, right? So only the needed libraries / dependencies are loaded?
  • Can I globally disable it and enable the share-buttons on a per-site base?
  • What plugin would you propose to use concurrently for the “like”-functionality (Facebook / Google+)? Any other lightweight solution that maybe has been tested? Or should I go custom for that?
  • Any templates included? Any demo-markup?
  • More info on the WordPress transients caching mechanism (duration, benefits, …)

Some of these might sound stupid, agreed, but it would clarify a lot for me at least.
Thanks & regards,

Henning

:+1: questions / posts like this will help me get that figured out :slight_smile:

The JS and CSS is generic and applies to all buttons, there is no specific JS/CSS for a network

Yes, the settings work as expected with multisite

Not sure?

There’s one template included that can be replaced. The demo markup can be seen on https://roots.io/awesome-share-buttons/

It’s set to 15 minutes, and this means that an external request won’t be made to the networks to get the share count every time you load a page with the share buttons.

Allright, thanks for your answers! That helps me decide :smile:
Cheers!

Hello there, i was looking also for some documentation for the plugin.

I need to add “vía @twitterUser” at the end of the twitter share text. If i use the title attribute in the [share] shortcode it changes the title for all social networks and i only need it for twitter.

i managed to add if editing the plugin file templates/shortcode-share.php. Is there a way to replace this template in my theme template so i don´t have to edit the plugin file ? I copied the template to my theme but did not override the plugin template.

Thanks

You can definitely do that, did you follow the instructions in the README.md file?

Customization

The [share] shortcode includes the template from templates/shortcode-share.php. If you’d like to use a custom template, copy shortcode-share.php into the templates/ directory in your theme and also implement the following example snippet:

/**
 * Custom [share] shortcode template
 */
function custom_roots_share_buttons_template() {
  return get_template_directory() . '/templates/shortcode-share.php';
}
add_action('roots/share_template', 'custom_roots_share_buttons_template');

If you’ve added this snippet and it’s still not working then there could be something else going wrong here, but let us know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ups, didn´t look in the readme file… That worked perfectly. thanks!