Advantages of Trellis Over Scotch Box

I have spent a good part of the day trying to get Trellis to work on my Windows 10 machine. I have made progress, but I’m still not up and running.

In the meantime, I came upon Scotch Box which took me almost no time to get up and running. And with a bit of tweaking it’s possible to sync Scotch Box in with Bedrock.

Now, before I actually go down this route, I am wondering what advantages Trellis has over Scotch Box. In short, I’m trying to figure out whether or not it’s worth my while to invest more time trying to get Trellis to work, when seemingly I have a workable solution using Scotch Box.

Scotch Box is for development purposes only. The main advantage of Trellis is when also using it for staging/production servers.

It’s possible for Scotch Box to be much simpler because of that. So if all you need is a development Vagrant box, then there’s nothing really wrong with it.

2 Likes

If you don’t need/want to provision your server you don’t need to use Trellis. If you want to use ScotchBox, I can also recommend https://github.com/ekandreas/scotch-bedrock

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I tried it and (after installing the vagrant hostsupdater plugin) it worked. Nice work.