Assign unique IP's for each website in a Trellis configuration

Hello,

For a client I am taking over an existing server with wordpress sites sitting on individual installations. It’s simply a mess so I’m re-doing the entire infrastructure.

On their environment, each site has it’s own IP defined in the server and after speaking with them about this they want to keep the unique IP’s for “seo reasons”. I left it at that after trying to convince them that the IP’s they’re paying for and how they’re doing this most likely has no affect at all on SEO outcome.

I am wanting to convert their environment from individual installations on one server to one server with a WPMU network environment using Trellis. I have a lot of experience doing this and have already created network environments like this with no problem in the past so this is no problem but my one question is:

How do you assign unique IP’s for each site declaration inside of the configuration?

So when I scaffold the servers, those declarations will be in place on the server end and then I simply assign the IP within the name server to get it operating properly?

Thanks

How does it work having WordPress in network configuration but having individual subsites on different IPs? Maybe I’m not fully understanding that part.

But, it’s really easy to use a single Trellis to service more than one box. In your hosts you can just list the domains (assuming example.com and ansible.wtf have distinct IPs).

[production]
example.com
ansible.wtf

[web]
example.com
ansible.wtf

If you want to list the IPs explicitly, I think you can do that like so:

example ansible_host=123.456.789.01
ansible ansible_host=234.567.890.12 

[production]
example
ansible

[web]
example
ansible

Give some of these threads a read or two and I’m sure you’ll be able to fix something up that works https://discourse.roots.io/search?q=ansible_host%3D.

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.