Hello, first I need to say that the Roots projects are amazing. I began using them a month ago after using VVV for local WordPress themes development for a year and the Bedrock, bedrock-ansbile and Sage combination made me learn so much already. Thanks!
I provisioned a 512mb DO droplet and deployed a website with bedrock-ansible and the site is online and fine. As I am totally new to cloud servers and VPS, I would like to get a head start by asking what other steps would be recommended to update/maintain/optimize/secure my DO droplet that’s already in « production ».
The website won’t have hundreds of visitors at the same time but should get at least a hundred per day during the summer.
Here is a list of questions that could help me further my research :
- Is provisioning a DO droplet with the bedrock-ansible scripts makes it good enough for production?
- Can I or should I update the DO server by provisioning it again?
- Other than removing root ssh to secure the droplet, is there other security steps I should take?
- If I try the nginx built-in caching method described here (Best Caching Practices) or if I make any change to the server, would it be a good idea to add the steps to my bedrock-ansible scripts?
- If I want to monitor usage of the website (google analytics already in use) and load on the servers at different time of the day and weeks, where should I look?
Any suggestions for a beginner sysadmin is appreciated.