Bootstrap from Composer or Bower?

Hi all,

I want to work on my workflow, want to ask other questions later, but first this one.

For theme development I always use a WordPress parent theme that works with Bootstrap (I will continue doing this) and make a child theme for that. In my child-themes functions.php I disable the Bootstrap CSS files of the parent theme, and include all the LESS files from Bootstrap so I can overwrite them with my own LESS files.

Now, in my new workflow Bootstrap will be one of my ā€˜dependenciesā€™. My feeling tells me Iā€™m going to use Bower + Gulp, as I can read here Major changes coming in version 8.0.0 - #7 by benword it looks like you are doing the same for Sage!

Now, since the workflow is much broader then above, I want to start looking at the screencasts here: http://roots.io/wordpress-stack/. Now I have looked on the Composer websites, and what I donā€™t understand is that I also find Bootstrap in their repository (Packagist).

So why use Bower then? What is the difference?

Kind regards,

Willem-Siebe

Bower is for front-end packages and Composer is for PHP packages.

For theme related purposes, you wouldnā€™t ever want to include Bootstrap via Composer unless you were compiling the Less with PHP. Since you have a feeling youā€™re going to be using Bower + Gulp (which is a great toolset), ignore Composer and use Bower to grab Bootstrap.

1 Like

Ok, then I will use Bower + Gulp.

An other wish I have is to start using Git/Github for Version Control Management, since ofcourse I make changes to my child themes on regular basis. I now upload this using FTP and my previous version are ā€˜lostā€™.

Now I want to start learning Bedrock to improve my complete workflow, folder structure etcetera. But how does my child-theme development fit inside that picture? My parent theme (third party, actually also a ā€˜dependencieā€™ right?) will have updates as well. Now on the bedrock Github I read:

Themes

Themes can also be managed by Composer but should only be done so under two conditions:

1. Youā€™re using a parent theme that wonā€™t be modified at all
  2. You want to separate out your main theme and use that as a standalone package
    Under most circumstances we recommend NOT doing #2 and instead keeping your main theme as part of your appā€™s repository.

Just like plugins, WPackagist maintains a Composer mirror of the WP theme directory. To require a theme, just use the wpackagist-theme namespace.

For example, when my parent theme is listed in the WP theme directory, it will have updates. So I donā€™t understand this: ā€œYouā€™re using a parent theme that wonā€™t be modified at allā€.

Kind regards,

Willem-Siebe

Or does that mean that I donā€™t modify it myself? Which seems obvious then, because for that I use a child themeā€¦

Correct. I guess it is obvious but in your case itā€™s a dependency so use Composer to manage it.