Cannot run any Trellis/Parallels VM's on Sonoma

trellis up results in the following error on all projects running on an M1 (Sonoma) that has run all these same projects successfully until several days ago:

The provider 'parallels' could not be found, but was requested to
back the machine 'default'. Please use a provider that exists.

Vagrant knows about the following providers: docker, hyperv, virtualbox
exit status 1

The full output following trellis up is:

Starting galaxy role install process
- composer (1.9.0) is already installed, skipping.
- ntp (2.3.1) is already installed, skipping.
- logrotate (v0.0.5) is already installed, skipping.
- swapfile (v2.0.36) is already installed, skipping.
- mailpit (v1.0.0) is already installed, skipping.

Running command => vagrant up
The provider 'parallels' could not be found, but was requested to
back the machine 'default'. Please use a provider that exists.

Vagrant knows about the following providers: docker, hyperv, virtualbox
exit status 1

History:

1. Recently upgraded to 14.4.1 (I don’t remember the previous version, but it wasn’t more than an update or two ago, or so)
  2. While all VMs were running correctly, the Vagrant version was 2.2.18
  3. I started running into issues, so I tried various later versions of Vagrant
  4. The first of these issues occurred when I was trying to create a new Trellis environment and trellis provision development failed when composer.json could not be found
  5. Most of the other issues turned out to be (or appeared to be) ruby-related (requiring 2.7 instead of the bundled 2.6 for one or more Vagrant plugins)
  6. I have since tried Vagrant 2.2.10, 2.2.19, and several newer ones (they don’t all yield the same error, but none worked)

Additional Information:

1. My current Vagrant is 2.2.30 with the above error (no complaints about ruby versions yet)
  2. Parallels version is 19.3.0 (54924)
  3. System ruby is still the original 2.6.something, but I also have a chruby driven version (3.3.1) which is the new default

Any and all hints for a fix would be greatly appreciated, of course, but I’d also love to understand how this started… Could it be that a Vagrant dependency/plugin previously worked on system Ruby but that the minimum required version increased even without making any changes on my side?

Also, is it possible that the ruby mess I’m describing messed up Parallels somehow?

It could be as simple as needing to run vagrant plugin install vagrant-parallels

1 Like