Catalina Beta, Trellis, and APFS Containers

I need to start playing around with SwiftUI which only works on Catalina– otherwise I would never upgrade to the beta OS.

I considered doing it on a partition because I’m almost certain it’s going to break some things. Then I came across using APFS containers through Disk Utility (more info on how this is done).

Has anyone done this before? This shouldn’t have any negative effects on my current Roots projects should it?

This is what’s known so far: Use trellis on Mac OS Catalina - #3 by bjfresh

This shouldn’t have any negative effects on my current Roots projects should it?

Based on the above thread, the answer is sadly yes due to some NFS/Vagrant issue. Although apparently if you re-create your Vagrant VM it should work? If you find out anything, please reply in that thread

1 Like

Rookie mistake in my excitement to use sidecar, installed Catalina day one and could no longer vagrant up (nfs errors). While we wait for hashicorp or nfsd to arrive at a fix here is how I manually mounted my nfs share. Hopefully this helps others.

1. Vagrant up – receive errors
  2. Modify /etc/exports and prefix the share with /System/Volumes/Data
  3. log into your vagrant vm with vagrant ssh from your trellis directory
  4. check that the nfs share is present with showmount -e {IP ADDR}. You should see your share listed
  5. Mount it to your /srv/www/{sitename}/current directory. I navigated to the current directory and executed this command:
    sudo mount -o vers=3,udp 192.168.50.1:/System/Volumes/Data/Users/Username/{PROJECTDIR}/sites/{SITENAME} .

Obviously you need to modify the path in step 5 for your specific directory structure.

edit: fyi I believe this is the fix to the issue which is currently under review:

1 Like

I have been having a few issues with this and have found a good temporary solution.
I’ve updated the VagrantFile variable to prefix with “/System/Volumes/Data”.
ANSIBLE_PATH = File.join('/System/Volumes/Data', __dir__)

It’s not ideal but if you need to get up and running then it works.

1 Like

Similarly to this answer I updated the top of the VagrantFile to:

nfsPath = "." if Dir.exist?("/System/Volumes/Data") nfsPath = "/System/Volumes/Data" + Dir.pwd end ANSIBLE_PATH = nfsPath # absolute path to Ansible directory on host machine

Making sure to clear the /etc/exports file of the old vagrant locations
sudo nano /etc/exports

A fresh reload of vargrant booted correctly after completing these steps.

This is based on https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56959305/vagrant-failing-on-mounting-nfs-due-to-macos-catalina-beta-update

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.