Convert existing WordPress theme to a Sage theme

I have an existing regular WordPress theme that I want to convert to a Sage theme, but I can’t find any tutorials or information on this subject.

I have already migrated the site to Bedrock and everything is working fine, thanks to this tutorial.

What is the best way to do this? Thanks.

Can you expand on why you want to convert your existing theme to a Sage-based theme? As you’ve seen, normal WordPress themes work fine with Bedrock.

Moving an existing theme to a Sage theme is probably going to depend a lot on what your original theme is like, how it does things, etc. If I were in that position, I’d probably start with a fresh Sage install, then just start moving over functionality from my previous theme until I’d replicated it. Unless you intended to be doing a lot of work on the theme on an ongoing basis, I’m not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

I want to convert it because I like the workflow of Sage and the benefits it has, but maybe it’s a bit overkill to convert it. The theme is already done, there is not going to be a lot of work…so you are probably right about it not being worth the trouble.

Maybe someone has a theme that is half-done and needs some guidance on how to convert it to Sage. A guide would be great. Things I can think of:

• Changing template names to .blade?
  • Removing PHP logic in old templates to Sober controllers?
  • Changing WP includes to Blade includes?

No sure if there is more.

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.