Correct NGINX PPA for Ubuntu 20

Getting a local development server set up on an M1 Mac using Parallels Pro Ubuntu 20.

When provisioning, I ran into a NGINX PPA error for Ubunto 20. Is swapped out PPA from the mainline version to the PPA Stable and that fixed that error.

Three questions:

Is this the correct PPA to address this issue? I was following this discussion where someone was using a different PPA link, but it sounds like it was causing other issues.

Second, we still have some consultants who’d be using Virtual Box and Ubuntu 18. This config would be committed, and thus make it into their local dev environments. Would this PPA impact their ability to use VB + Ubuntu 18? If so, is there a way to override config locally like we can with creating a vagrant.local file?

Third, our remote servers run on Ubuntu 18. Having a local environment on Ubuntu 20 should not impact deployment to a server running Ubuntu 18, correct?

Hard to say without knowing what the error was. But Trellis switched to the official Nginx PPA for 20.04: Use official Nginx package by swalkinshaw · Pull Request #1208 · roots/trellis · GitHub

Would this PPA impact their ability to use VB + Ubuntu 18? If so, is there a way to override config locally like we can with creating a vagrant.local file?

I’m not sure but I’d just try using the same official Nginx PPA on both. If you really need different ones then you’ll have to customize Trellis (not the Vagrant configs) by defining nginx_ppa conditionally based on the Ubuntu version.

Third, our remote servers run on Ubuntu 18. Having a local environment on Ubuntu 20 should not impact deployment to a server running Ubuntu 18, correct?

It wouldn’t impact it though you start to diverge more from the goal of dev/prod parity.

1 Like

So the end goal for question no. 3 would be to upgrade remote servers to Ubuntu 20.04 then. Correct?

The goal should be for all local development environments and the production server to all be the same version of Ubuntu.

1 Like