CSS sourcemaps with bud?

During development, is there a way to enable Sass sourcemaps?

Looking at .budfiles/bud/webpack.config.js, I see sourcemap is set to true, but my devtools only show styles dumped within a <style> tag with no references to the sass partial files or line numbers:

"loader": "/Volumes/Evo/Local/mysite/app/public/wp-content/themes/sage/node_modules/sass-loader/dist/cjs.js",
"options": {
	"implementation": {
		"sassNull": {},
		"sassTrue": {
			"value": true
		},
		"sassFalse": {
			"value": false
		},
		"Logger": {
			"silent": {}
		},
		"info": "dart-sass\t1.49.9\t(Sass Compiler)\t[Dart]\ndart2js\t2.16.1\t(Dart Compiler)\t[Dart]",
		"types": {},
		"NULL": {},
		"TRUE": {
		},
		"FALSE": {
		},
		"default": {
			"sassNull": {},
			"sassTrue": {
			},
			"sassFalse": {
			},
			"Logger": {
				"silent": {}
			},
			"info": "dart-sass\t1.49.9\t(Sass Compiler)\t[Dart]\ndart2js\t2.16.1\t(Dart Compiler)\t[Dart]",
			"types": {},
			"NULL": {},
			"TRUE": {
			},
			"FALSE": {
			}
		}
	},
	"sourceMap": true
}
}

Download the latest versions of bud. Then set devtool to eval and you will see the correct files corresponding to the style.

With bud-sass 5.7.7 and .devtool(eval), I don’t see any corresponding css sourcemaps in devtools during development. Also, wouldn’t setting devtool to eval return no sourcemaps? GitHub - webpack-contrib/css-loader: CSS Loader

My bud.config.js

/**
 * @typedef {import('@roots/bud').Bud} bud
 * @param {bud} app
 */

module.exports = async (app) => {
	app
		.devtool(eval)

.entry({
			app: ['@scripts/app', '@styles/app'],
			editor: ['@scripts/editor', '@styles/editor'],
		})

.assets('images')

.watch('resources/views/**/*', 'app/**/*')

.proxy('https://site.local')

.serve('http://0.0.0.0:3000');
};

You’re missing quotes around eval.

1 Like

I tried eval as a string, and it returned an error stating devtool requires a boolean option.

Module build failed (from ./node_modules/css-loader/dist/cjs.js):                                                        β”‚
β”‚ ValidationError: Invalid options object. CSS Loader has been initialized using an options object that does not match the β”‚
β”‚ API schema.                                                                                                              β”‚
β”‚ - options.sourceMap should be a boolean.                                                                                 β”‚
β”‚ -> Allows to enable/disable source maps.                                                                                 β”‚
β”‚ -> Read more at https://github.com/webpack-contrib/css-loader#sourcemap    

I tried eval as a string, and it returned an error stating devtool requires a boolean option.

Module build failed (from ./node_modules/css-loader/dist/cjs.js):                                                        β”‚
β”‚ ValidationError: Invalid options object. CSS Loader has been initialized using an options object that does not match the β”‚
β”‚ API schema.                                                                                                              β”‚
β”‚ - options.sourceMap should be a boolean.                                                                                 β”‚
β”‚ -> Allows to enable/disable source maps.                                                                                 β”‚
β”‚ -> Read more at https://github.com/webpack-contrib/css-loader#sourcemap    

I also read the bud docs and it shows by example:

bud.config.js

bud.devtool('inline-cheap-module-source-map')

Looking at .budfiles/bud/webpack.config.js , I see sourcemap is set to true , and if I specify something like bud.devtool('eval-source-map'), I can see the option reflected within .budfiles/bud/webpack.config.js but I still get the CLI error as posted above and no sourcemap.

Ah I now see your bud-sass has the latest version, but you need the latest version of all bud dependencies. I got this problem too and its fixed in the latest version.

Thank you! Yes, I didn’t know or think to check the dependency versions as I used composer to install Sage, so I didn’t install bud separately. Therefore, some of those dependencies are installed as v5.7.6, not v5.7.7.