Custom cron woes

I have a custom cron job set up, well almost.

I currently have (in a custom role):

- name: Setup cron to trigger B2 backups
  cron:
    name: "{{ item.key }} site cron"
    hour: "{{ item.value.cron.hour | default('*') }}"
    minute: "{{ item.value.cron.minute | default('*') }}"
    user: "{{ web_user }}"
    job: "cd {{ www_root }}/{{ item.key }}/{{ item.value.current_path | default('current') }}/scripts && chmod +x {{ item.value.cron.filename }} && ./{{ item.value.cron.filename }}"
    cron_file: "custom-{{ item.key | replace('.', '_') }}"
  with_dict: "{{ wordpress_sites }}"
  when: item.value.cron | default(false)

Then, in wordpress_sites.yml, I have:

cron:
  filename: "b2-backup.sh" # this is the file that the backup cron will be run against
  hour: "*" # runs every hour.
  minute: "*/5" # runs every 5 minutes for testing

Now if I check var/log/syslog, I can see the cron seems to be running as anticipated:

Mar 16 19:50:01 trellis-backup-test CRON[15071]: (web) CMD (cd /srv/www/example.com/current/scripts && chmod +x b2-backup.sh && ./b2-backup.sh)

However, the result (a backup to Backblaze B2) isn’t happening and I don’t really know how to diagnose what’s failing or if the cron job just isn’t valid. If I SSH into the server as the web user, I can execute the exact command as shown in syslog i.e. cd /srv/www/example.com/current/scripts && chmod +x b2-backup.sh && ./b2-backup.sh and it works perfectly and the backups turn up in the B2 bucket as expected.

Any ideas?

Permissions when adding a custom cron job on deploy (permission denied)

Cron environments are pretty limited, so depending on what you’re doing in your script, it’s possible that something is not available when cron runs the script.

For instance, I can’t run aws (AWS CLI) directly in my backup script with cron — I had to pass the full path to the binary (/usr/local/bin/aws).

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know that.

I’ll give that a go and see if I can make any progress as it’s so close!

The discourse answers and Roots team are totally on point today :wink: That’s two for two in a day!

That worked perfectly; I changed the instances of accessing the B2 CLI using the normal method and instead gave the absolute path to the binary.

So:

b2 upload_file $B2_BUCKET_NAME $SQL_FILE.gz db/$SQL_FILE.gz

becomes:

/usr/local/bin/b2 upload_file $B2_BUCKET_NAME $SQL_FILE.gz db/$SQL_FILE.gz

Bit of tiding up to do but I’ll post up the role and script I’ve put together in case it’s of use to anybody.